DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: new starter, 2 install probs 1 solaris

Hybrid View

i'm trying to install Oracle 9i on a Sun box & have ta couple install probs

(1) Format command won't allow me to create slices named u01..u04, i guess i'm, missing a Oracle basic here, but not seeing it
    Installing with fault tolerance, sample databse on a 4gb disk
    should i create a single huge slice & create 4 directories as my mount pointes ?, pointers will be appreciated

(2) Does anyonw recommend sizes for /u02-/u04 if inhave saye 1.2gb left, this is for test & learning puposes

kindest regards

stevie (ms.)

You don't need four disk partitions to install 9.0.1. What you do need is enough space to install the program files and the seed/sample database. You can stick the seed database wherever you want (one partition works fine for that too).

The multiple partitions come about from Oracle's OFA guidance. The "format" thing you are missing is related to UNIX system administration, not Oracle. Since you say your database is for testing and learning, you only need two directories: one that establishes your ORACLE_BASE (which in turn leads to ORACLE_HOME), and one for the datafiles.

The seed database that is created during installation is a throwaway database. If you have the space, have it installed so you can at least verify the installation and operation of the 9.0.1 program files. The size is WAY overstated for your purposes. You can make your own database that is around 200MB, thereby saving around a gigabyte of space.

If you have other questions, you can email me at stecal@auto-trol.com.

much appreciated

thanks very much

i wanted to try installing a ona raw 9gb or 18gb & thougth the best way to start learning is to make verything OFA compliant, but suspect, on this long jouney to being a OCA, i might need a dual-disk diskpack with Diskuite or Veritas, renwing the 30-day install freq.
    thanks again

stevie (ms.)