DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sizing of tables

Smile

Hi All ,
    I have installed Oracle 8.1.7 on Win 2k.
    Right now I have the system tablespace as default.Now I want to create my own tablespace for my table.Could you guide me as to how should I calculate the storage clause.What should be the initial,etc.Please guide me as to the storage parameter of the segment/table and its compatibilty with tablespace.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The default storage values depends upon the the size of the segments which you are planning to store
    in that tablespace.

For Ex: if you create the tablespace with initial 500k next 500k minextents 2 maxextents 200 pctincrease 0 ,
    then, all the objects which will be stored in that tablespace will occupy 1000k approx. irrespective of the
    number of records.

Alternatively if you know that for a segment 1000k of space will be high, then while creating the object
    you can specify the storage parameters accordingly which overrides the value of the tablespace's storage
    parameter.

Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics

Thanks ....
    You explained it quite nicely.
    Could you tell me how to calculate the size of segment and the tablespace.
    Why I should choose initial to 500k and not 300k,like this.
    Hope you got my point.
    Thanks.

Hi,
    Its better u set the storage parameter at the table level and based on the total size of the all the tables create a tablespace of that size.

Genereally to set the initial,next storage parameter we calculate the size of the table i.e (Avg row size * no. of rows).Get to know this values and get to know how much of data will this table hold per month,and multiply this by 12.Since ur using 8.1.7 create locally managed tablespace,as this will not cause fragmentation as it was happening in 8.1.5.

Then create a tablespace

CREATE TABLESPACE lmtbsb DATAFILE '/u02/oracle/data/lmtbsb01.dbf' SIZE 50M
    EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL AUTOALLOCATE;

This will cause oracle to manage initial no. of extents to be allocated to accomadate the tables.

regards
    anandkl

anandkl

Thanks a lot.