DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NEW DATABASE

Question

I want to create the copy of Production database from production server to test database on test server.

What are the steps to follow..?
    I am going to do that for the first time.

Should I take all the files (data,redo,control,pwd,init) and
    then put them on the test server in Oracle Directory in the same way it was in prouction.

Please advice.

Harry

Hi,

If the database name is not same, you can edit the text version of control file produced in the user_dump_dest directory when you backup the control file to trace. You have to edit the path if the path in your production and test server is not same.

YOu have to copy the datafiles and log files to the test_server. After that run your text version of control files that you just edited.

If the database does not open, just open it with reset logs option.

Thanks
    Babu

Originally posted by rafiq
    Hi,

If the database name is not same, you can edit the text version of control file produced in the user_dump_dest directory when you backup the control file to trace. You have to edit the path if the path in your production and test server is not same.
    I did a alter database backup controlfile to trace on my Oracle 8i server. Can anyone please tell me the control file name and which directory it would be sitting under? I didn't find the user_dump_dest directory anywhere on my server. Please advise.

Hi,

When you say, alter database backup controlfile to trace, then it will be under the location
    specified by the parameter USER_DUMP_DEST. The file name will be based on your process id and will
    have an extension .trc.

Answering to Mr. Harry's question:

You have 2 choices:

Option 1:

1. Create a full database export of the production database.
    2. Create the database structure in the test server with the same amount of space.
    3. Import the objects into the test database.

This method is the suitable method when your production database is running on a Sun box and
    your test database is on Windows box.

Option 2:

1. Shutdown the database.
    2. Copy all the files(controlfiles, datafiles, logfiles, parameterfile etc) to the test server.
    3. Create the service on the test server.
    4. Change the CONTROL_FILES initialization parameter to point to the location in your test server.
    5. Mount the database.
    6. Take a trace backup of the controlfile.
    7. If the production files location and test database files location are not the same change the location
    of the files and recreate the controlfile by running the script.
    8. Open the database.

Vijay.

Say No To Plastics

Vijay: Thanks, that answered my Q. BTW, I see n number of .TRC files created in that directory at different intervals...what does that indicate? Thanks again..

Hi,

Generally Oracle's background processes will generate the dumps and if you have enabled user
    level tracing then each and every user process will put an entry. You can open those trace files
    in a editor and see the contents.

Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics