DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HELP..No alert log info is being recorded!!

Okay, We took the system down for cold backups yesterday. had a slight problem with shutting down. Ended up having to kill the services. I did a startup and shutdown again just to make sure I got a clean close on the system. Backups were done and system brought back up, users logged in. All appears well.

I came in this morning to look at my alert log to view the errors from the shutdown and found that NOTHING is being written to my alert log. The startup/shutdown and then the startup for the users was not in there, no checkpointing info, no hot backup info....nada.

Logs are switching and all appears right in the user world.

HOW can I get this loggin again? Is there a flag to check? Nothing was changed in my init file.

ARRGHHH>

Okay..more info now.

I have found where my alert file is now. It is in the rdbms73\trace directory. Thats not where it was when the system was shutdown, but on reboot, it is now there. Still checking out why....

Any thoughts.?

Check your init file for the parameter background_dump_dest; this where your alert log should appear unless otherwise you run out space at the above specified location.

my first thought as well. Checked my inti.ora and did the Show Parameter in sqlplus. Both gave me the location where I wanted the files to go.

No space issue...got 21gigs left

Check the (alert log located) disc condn...whether monted or unmounted...If it is unmounted it will go to default location...?.
    If so mount the disc and try to stop /start you will see the writing in alert log.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

we are running in a Windows NT environment. Disc appears fine. I can access the disk from my workstation. In fact, just cleared out a bunch of archive logs for 3 mths back that were on that disk.

If you could, just rename the old alert.log file and restart the database. Anytime was the only solution for me.

Cheers

Angel