DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Process time out

I have my SQLPLUS client open and when it is inactive for maybe an hour, then I get 'end-of-file comunication channel' and I have to login again.
    Is it possible in Oracle 8i to have an upper limit for the time period when a process can remain inactive ?

Shiva.

May be your DBA's has set up a profile which timesout session if you are inactive for a certain period of time. The default values are UNLIMITED but It may be that DBA's has created a new profile and assigned that profile to the user.

You can query dba_users to find out which profile has been assigned to you and also query dba_profiles to find out information about profile.

Sanjay

Originally posted by Shiva
    I have my SQLPLUS client open and when it is inactive for maybe an hour, then I get 'end-of-file comunication channel' and I have to login again.
    Is it possible in Oracle 8i to have an upper limit for the time period when a process can remain inactive ?

Shiva.
    OCP 8i

Thanks for your reply Sanjay.
    Well, I have been assigned the defaul user profile, with unlimited IDLE_TIME & CONNECT_TIME.
    Could anything else be the reason ?

Shiva.

Are you sure that your database does not go down. This error usually comes when you are connected and then your database goes down and then you will see this error
    "end-of-file comunication channel"

Please check your alert.log to find out please database was shutdown. Which Version of Oracle you are using ?

Sanjay
    OCP 8i

No no this is not b'cos the db has gone down, this happens very frequently to me also(with several instances), I once tried to find out the reason for this but got nowhere, yes the profile everything seems to be fine, I would be really thankful if someone solves this mystery.
    KN

That is what I too thought at the beginning, but no, the database is not down. The database is up and running but I get an 'end-of-file........' error. I am running Oracle8i and there is only one instance.

Any thoughts towards this issue is greatly appreciated.

Shiva.

A network connection loss may also cause this problem;

Sanjay

Hi,

Somebody could have killed your process. This also generates the error.

Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics