DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Listener configuration for 2 instances

Question

Hi,

We are having a problem with setting up the listener for two instances running on the same unix server.

In our database, oracle software was installed by the default "oracle" user with the default sample database created (say sample9i). The files belong to the "oracle" user in "oinstall" group. The "oracle" user has a secondary group of "dba". Then, we manually created another database (say newdb) using another unix user (say "neworacle" with the "dba" group as the primary group).

Currently, our listener is set up as:
    LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
    )
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myhost)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    )
    )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = /opt/oracle/orac901)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = newdb)
    (SID_NAME = newdb)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = sample9i)
    (SID_NAME = sample9i)
    )
    )

When we start up the listener from the "oracle" user account, we can connect to sample9i database but when we change the ORACLE_SID=newdb and try to login through sqlplus with:
    sqlplus user@newdb

We encountered an error:
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    ORA-27121: unable to determine size of shared memory segment
    SVR4 Error: 13: Permission denied

The strange thing is that "tnsping newdb" works.

When we start up the listener from the "neworacle" user account, we can connect to the newdb database but not to the sample9i database.

1. Are we setting up the listener correctly?
    2. Do we need to set up 2 listeners? Do the 2 listeners have to be assigned to 2 different ports or can they use the same port?
    3. Is there any permissions issues that we need to look into? Should we just set both "oracle" and "neworacle" to the same group?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Jia Lian

1. Are we setting up the listener correctly?
    Listener.ora looks fine

2. Do we need to set up 2 listeners? Do the 2 listeners have to be assigned to 2 different ports or can they use the same port?

Two listeners may work. Start one as oracle and one as neworacle. The problem may be with memory access between different O/S users. The listener process as one user cannot talk to the database proccess running as the other user. (just a guess). For the user starting the second listener set the TNS_ADMIN O/S var and use a different listener.ora file.

Two listeners must use two different ports

3. Is there any permissions issues that we need to look into? Should we just set both "oracle" and "neworacle" to the same group?

You should run two databases out of the same oracle home under the same O/S user OR install the binaries under a new user in a different oracle home.

Andrew
    OCP

Hi Jialian,

When you are starting listener as Newdb ( not the default one) what is the status of your default database? is it in Shutdown mode?

Let me know I will guide you further.

Bye
    Nwcomer
    Student

Hi,

The cause of this error is due to failure of SHMCTL().
    Check the permission on segment.

Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics