DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing Oracle9i on Win2K server

Question

Hello,

We're currently running 2 Oracle8 instances in a HP-UX unix environment. We're required to move to a Windows 2000 server and upgrade our database version to Oracle9i. I have not worked with Oracle on windows platform before. I do have a help of our network admn in installing Oracle. I have been reading about the new features of Oracle 9i and how we do not have svrmgr or internal user id. I have gone through the Oracle documentation that comes with the CD.

I know i would have to use export/import method here. Do i have to create the exact same file structure as my unix enviroment to do the import in the new environment? Can I change the table structures of the existing tables when i import them into our new OS? Could anyone guide me through some steps that would make this installation problem-less.

Thank you so much for your time,
    vidhya

first of all sorry to hear you moving off UNIX.

you can export the structure of the objects. change the storage params and then import them to the new db (or export with compress = y). Is this easy with a tool like DBArtisian. Make sure the new db is using dictionary managed tablespaces. you cannot create objects with different storage clauses in a localy managed tablespace.
    you do not have to have the same file structure but you do have to have the same tablespaces (unless you want to edit the create scripts to move objects to new tablespaces).

Andrew
    OCP

Andrew, Thanks for your response. I'll do as you said while creating the database. Well I dont like to move off of UNIX either. All the other applications that i manage remain on unix. which is good i guess.

If anyone who has actually done similar to this please let me know the steps. I have no idea what to look for since i have worked with win2k servers or Oracle 9i before.

Thanks again for your time,
    vidhya

Hi,

1. Take a export dump from your unix system.
    2. Move the file to Win2k.
    3. Create the database and the structure on the Win2k server.
    4. Do a import.

Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics

Hi.

I've done the above several times with no problems. It's probably worth you checking out this book as Oracle on NT/2000 is a little different:

Over the last few years I've seen the demand for Oracle on NT/2000 increase significantly. Several of my customers who have a heavy investment in Solaris and HP-UX are now basing new projects on Windows 2000. Unless Linux can stop the exodus it seems to me that Oracle on UNIX derivatives won't be the dominant force it was.

Good luck.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Thanks vijay for the steps. I'll follow the same.

Thank You TimHall for your recommendation of this book. i'll order this book right away. this would give me some insight on moving to win 2000 from unix.

Regards,
    vidhya