DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: exp <-> imp with different NLS_LANG

Hello,

Presently we have 1db with american_america.utf8 which stores Lithuanian and Russian characters (like Ã*èæëáðøûþ). We however, need to move the structure and information to lithuanian_lithuania.blt8mswin1257 (in utf8 sorting of russian/lithuanian/english text and delimiters did not work correctly for some reason).

Question is: is it possible to export all data and import it to blt8mswin1257 database without loosing special characters? If so, what session nls should I use while exporting and importing? Have had quite a time already... all I get is ??? marks instead of Lith characters.

Great thanks in advance for any input.

Dima
    REMOVEdima@klasco.lt

What type of export are you doing, conventional or direct ?

What is the character set of the session you are using to export from ?

Hi,
    I used conventional (btw, what diff it make to use direct?)

I have used american_america.utf8 both for import and export - didnt work, then I used american_america.utf8 for export but lithuanian_lithuania.blt for import. Got ??? marks as lith characters. Why is it so complicated?

Thank you.
    REMOVEdima@klasco.lt

If you use direct mode to export data then the database character set will be used and when trying to import it will fail if the character set on the target database is different.

Set your session to lithuanian when exporting, this will export in the lithuanian lang. Also when importing set the session to lithuanian (you should'nt need to do this as oracle should convert the contents of the dump file automatically, but do it just in case).

This should be ok. Try it.