DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: To Increase PCT Or No

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me what is useful in setting a PCT Increase to a value greater than 0 ?, actually i never set a PCT increase cause i can't think of one reason to make me do so, but mean while i think there should be something in Oracle's mind to make such a parameter, any ideas ??
    Thanks in advance.

they made this for old Oracle versions, before 8 because in old versions you cannot have more than 121 extents for 2K block sizes for example, around 500 for 4K block size then 8k had another limit and so on. So set a PCTINCREASE in old versions made sort of sense but that was it

Hi,

By setting a pct increase higher than 0, SMON automatically coalesces free space in tablespaces.
    I suppose the theory behind pct increase is that a segment should not have to many extents (one in an ideal world) and therefore by increasing the size of extents this can be avoided.

However I think oracle have re-thought this as the introduction of locally managed tablespaces does not use
    a pct increase value.

I have found that pct increase causes to much fragmentation in a tablespace whic causes other problems.

shaz