DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you use a binary backup of controlfile to recover a db

Just a try

Hi

Just a try :

Does anyone observed problem with syntax. there is no gap between datafile and its name ---o---

alter database recover datafile'/export/home/u03/oradata/noya/system01.dbf' using
    -----o-----
    backup controlfile;

check it out and revert.

Regards
    --------------------------
    The Time has come ....

I think the way to go with that is...
    if you have archive logging on then the binary ctl file will work but if you dont have archiving then you will have to cp the backup binary ctl file to its respective directories.

svmgrl
    startup mount
    alter database backup control file to trace
    shutdown immediate

delete the control files you just created then run the trace file in as .sql. I just did this scenario at work and I got it right. you can drop me a line if you got a ?

-Jigar
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."

Originally posted by jlakhani
    I think the way to go with that is...
    if you have archive logging on then the binary ctl file will work but if you dont have archiving then you will have to cp the backup binary ctl file to its respective directories.

svmgrl
    startup mount
    alter database backup control file to trace
    shutdown immediate

delete the control files you just created then run the trace file in as .sql. I just did this scenario at work and I got it right. you can drop me a line if you got a ?

-Jigar
    EVEN IF you are in archivelog mode, you still have to do the same steps you said here. I have NEVER been able to open the database successfully by restoring the binary backup of the controlfile. (even the other stuff are intact)

Please confirm with your thought. Thank you.

Originally posted by pando

Use the control file copy to obtain SQL output. Copy the backup control file and execute STARTUP MOUNT before ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE NORESETLOGS. If the control file copy predated a recent structural change, edit the TO TRACE output to reflect the structural change

This is cut & pasted from Oracle Docs

I can recover the database without using NORESETLOGS in the above statement.

can u tell me PANDO when exactly this RESETLOGS/ NORESETLOGS come into picture.

i think only if database in ARCHIVE LOG MODE i'm i right. or i'm missing something
    Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA

Hi,

Whenever u do a INCOMPLETE RECOVERY then u should use RESETLOGS. INCOMPLETE RECOVERY
    is possible only when the database is running in ARCHIVELOG.

Also when u rename your database you should open the database with RESETLOGS.

Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics

Oracle Doc said:

"The RESETLOGS option is required after incomplete media recovery OR recovery using a backup control file."

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/...ormi.htm#22669

Abongwa,
    What happened with this experiment. Anxious to find out.
    Life is what is happening today while you were planning tomorrow.