DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How can I begin my oracle learning?

I am new here ,and I do not know where this topic can be submited in this forum ,so I have to submit here,sorry.

I am ready to learn oracle now ,but I do not know where I can learn from.as we know ,there are two systems frequently uesd which are 8i and 9i,so my question is what I should learn first ,8i or 9i,and need I learn the lastest version ?

also ,I have to download oracle system from otn.so what is the difference between personal and standard edition?as I learned ,after installing the oracle standard edition ,the window system will run very slowly.As a beginer,need I install standard edition for my learning?

Any help will be highly appreciated !

If you are a beginner.. then you should only concentrate on SQL and some database concepts.

Then other comes into picture.
    Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA

what should I use to run the SQL command,oracle or other software concerning pl/SQL?would you like to recommend some for me ?Thanks a lot!!!

Hi,

Buy some basic Oracle for beginners books and learn concepts first. I would begin with 8i first.

What is your goal? to become developer or DBA? If you want to become only developer, no need to refer internals of Oracle.

Some more views pl...

Thanks,
    Sam
    ------------------------
    To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart

You should use SQLPLUS to execute SQL and PL/SQL commands/programs. Buy a basic SQL book out in the market and start from there. You should learn this wether you want to become developer or DBA.

Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

buy a couple of oracle books for beginners, install Linux and Oracle.
    You think I'm going to have an affair with you? --Stanley Kowalski

Thanks a lot !!
    I am not sure about my final goal,and my goal now is to be a DBA ,so would you like to tell me the differences such as way , material and so on between the DBA learning or the developer learning and give some advices of choosing one from them two?

hi,samdba,what do you mean by concepts ?you mean the concept document downloading from otn.oracle.com?is it very useful ?should I read it first?

[Edited by andyliu on 05-01-2002 at 11:02 PM]

This link will probably give you some insight to Oracle. Courtesy of a forum user.

[Edited by marist89 on 05-02-2002 at 12:31 PM]

Why Jeff?