DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how oracle apps dba job is different from oracle dba

sorry, you just said routine and boring and that is oracle applications

if you think patching the whole day is fun, innovative and challenging then fine =)

what I am trying to do is instead of encouraging ppl to get into this boring stuff I rather tell them the truth and simply the truth behind this product

this has nothing to do with patience, working with oracle applications is just a waste of time (oh I am referring 11i if you work with 11 then good for you, at least it is a bit more stable, a bit )

Hi Pando,

I know that I can get the Oracle APPS for learning by paying $40/-

I want to know if I can use it for any number of days or it is going to expire after a week ?
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

Hi Kishore

I am not sure because I never ordered CD Packs from store.oracle.com...

Pando,

Thanks for the reply.Let's see if any one has any idea about this
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

Apps DBA

Being an Apps DBA is like every other DBA related job. The one good thing is that if your ERP is all Oracle, there isn't a ton of finger pointing when something goes wrong.

Patches: There are a ton of patches. As long as you keep track of them, and understand them, patching isn't really an issue. I apply about 2 patches weekly. However, when you get 11i stable, you patch only when there is new feature set added. You can also script ADPATCH, so if you have to do it in Test, Development and Production, it is far less of a burden.

I think we have applied about 15 hours worth of patches. The trick is to make sure that you keep a spreadsheet of every patch that you have applied and get a sign off from your user community export and or system admin.

11i gets far more complex when you open up all of the products. We run only about 4 or 5. But if you were to use all of them, I can imagine that the patching could be very brutal.

Also, learn to use Metalink. You can solve many Financials issues just by doing a little research.

Most places that run 11i have a Sysadmin that deals with the functional stuff. A dba that doesn't know the application will be very bored. Unless the DBA learns all of the features of the application, 11i would be a very boring DBA job. Here, 11i is just one applications we support, so we keep busy, and get exposed to many technologies.

The thing that frustrated me is that although 11i uses Apache and other technologies, RapizWiz lays down everything, so unless you dig into it, it's pretty transparent to the DBA.

Although, the upgrade process really sucks, once it is up and running your management will probably push you to another project and you won't get to dig into the guts of the application like you would have liked to, but I guess that is the plight among DBA's.