DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how oracle apps dba job is different from oracle dba

Lightbulb

1. How Oracle apps dba job is different then oracle dba ?
    2. What oracle dba needs to learn more to become oracle apps dba ?
    3. can't we use oracle dba as oracle apps dba too ?

looking for yr valuable response

Anuj

Anujpathak,

This is directly from Oracle Application handbook:

Duties of DBA:

• Manage Database availability
    • Plan and create Databases
    • Manage physical structures of the Oracle Server
    • Manage the Storage based design specifications
    • Manage Security including database users, and controlling and monitoring their actions
    • Network Administration
    • Backup and Recovery
    • Database Tuning
    • Oracle Enterprise manager (OEM)

Duties of Apps DBA:
    * Application installation/upgrade
    * Patches Application. They are Application patches, Database patches, upgrade patches, interoperability patches etc.
    * Web Server Administration.
    * Concurrent Manager Administration/tuning.
    * System Administration of Application. This includes creating a new Apps user, responsibility, defining of menus, forms, reports etc
    * Other tasks are similar to Oracle DBA's job.

DBA's, Technical Consultants and Developers can easily become Apps DBA from learning on the job or taking some training.

C. K.
    Apps DBA

hi cekeke,

Could u pls explain me in detail what exactly u mean by application in this scenario.

thanx
    sonia

application == Oracle Applications == ERP from Oracle similar to SAP, BAAN

Hi Sonia,

Did you understand what application means from Pando's formula? Thanks any way Pando.

hi,

well, thanx pando

Is that application developed using ORACLE FINANCIALS, MANUFACTURING etc.,?

Does these applications run on the same physical server as that of oracle.

Does an oracle apps dba has to maintain both, ie the application and oracl db ?

How different is oracle apps from other applcations like SAP or any application developed using java or vb.

regards
    sonia

Financials, Manufacturing are just part of Oracle Applications

Oracle Application is based on Network Computing Architecture (NCA), three-tier. Web Server, Application Server and Database Server. Apache, Forms/Reports/Discoverer Server and Oracle 8/8i/9i. Thin client, a browser with Oracle´s Java Plugin JIniitiator or IE Native Java VM (there was another third plugin I forgot the name). The product used is Internet Application Server (IAS) for Web and Application Server Tier

You can run them in same machine, Web Server, Application Server and Database Server or put them in 2, 3 or even 4 machines if you are using WebCache for 4 machines

It is developed with Forms/Reports and tons of stored packages/procedures/functions

What do you mean how different? They all do the same. It´s like I ask how different is between Suse Linux and RedHat Linux

Oracle Apps DBA job is crap because the product is crap, there are probably 2 or 3 patches out every week and because Oracle changes their mind on architecture every 6 months so if you have to migrate from let´s say 11.5.1 to 11.5.5 you have to make tons of changes

If you can avoid Applications then do it

Well I disagree with Pando concerning Oracle Apps DBA job. In today’s business environment, a DBA who does not understand how to work in the three application architecture which consists of Web Server, Application Server and Database Server is very much at risk. You have to understand the architecture as well as the programs. Oracle Apps DBA job is critical for the success of any business running on three tier architecture. The patches are just stored procedures to fix bugs, program errors, or upgrade to a newer version.

C. K.
    Apps DBA

we wish they are just stored procedures, you forgot compile forms any time?

last patch I had to do was simply put help files in spanish but hey that needed a patch, and guess how long it took? 5 hours, tell me how far can we get

and plz dont tell me there is a patch every month because we all know it's not true, my collegue spends all day patching (lucky me I got away from this crap) how fun is that

and hey did you change your listener architecture from 11.5.1 to 11.5.2, that is simply ridiculous they cant even make up their mind

oh yes and from IAS R2 JServ has gone byebye so from 11.5.7 the architecture is changing again using this junk OC4J, we will see how long it lasts, probably for a year?

and we all know how stable is 11i, even Oracle Support want to s**t on this product

it's not that hard to work with three-tier by the way, it took me 2 weeks to set up iAS (and I have never worked with it before. oh yes lucky me again it was linux not NT!), basically you configure concurrent manager, forms/reports server, apache and this nice JInitiator not that big deal

[Edited by pando on 05-03-2002 at 02:46 PM]

Hi Pando,

I didn’t mean to make you a***y. I understand what you talking about. Personally, I work on such environment. It is not fun but I like it. And that’s why probably, we are being paid well. The pay sometimes is based on our patience and ability to troubleshoot things. I know quite a few people who landed on a job just confirming their great patience and ability to troubleshoot errors. You know IT is just that way. I like a job that is innovative and challenging. I can never be on a job that is routine and boring. As far as I know, anytime IT and Computer related jobs are perfected, we all will probably have no work to do. Cool off your temper. Do what you like to do okay.