DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: moving database between servers

Hi,

We are planning to move our hardware from one location to
    other. This involved moving Solaris box and EMC disk array.
    we are planning to move our database using following steps.

After getting rid of one schema(10G) our Database is 22G size. I am dropping schema and All tablespaces used exclusively by this user. Use following command:
    drop tablespace TBLA including contents;
    remove files at operating system level.

We are 24x7 so we are trying to be DOWN for minimum time with LEAST budget. There will be T1 between two locations.

1. Get identical machine on site B. Use one or two big disks
    to hold datafiles.
    2. On machine B setup same file structure for database files. also, we will setup oracle software identical to machine A.
    3. Now start hot backup. Put each file in backup mode and FTP to machine B. Take out tablespace out of backup mode.
    4. shutdown database on machine A.
    5. FTP archived logs, control files, init.ora and REDO LOGS to machine B. ( we don't want to do RESETLOGS, so i am
    copying online redo logs also)
    6. On machine B, startup mount database.
    7. recover database
    8. alter database open;

Point all clients to this new database and start clients.
    So, our downtime will be between steps 4 and 8. We will follow same steps after we get our original machine A and EMC disk array on site B to get back on original configuration.

I estimated time to ftp 22G around 45 minutes.

Please let me know your thoughts about this strategy and also if i would be able to use all my archived logs starting from day 1 after the move.

because we are 24x7, i don't have cold backup since last 12 months. but we do have hot backup for last 5 weeks and archived logs since day 1. Are there any implications of not having cold backup?

thanks for your time...

np70

Your plan sounds good. Not having a cold backup shold not be a problem as you have all archive logs.

You can use all logs from day 1 after the move as you are not doing a resetlogs.

regards

Shaz

thanks sazzadur....

np70