DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Naming Convention

Does anybody know if exists a naming convention for Oracle. I mean, a
    database object naming guideline, or something like that.
    You know, something to share with your development team and say "ok, we name
    the Order Number field as OrderNumber (or order_number, or whatever)"

It doesn't have to be for Oracle... In fact, better if it is a "general"
    database naming convention.

(IEEE has so much standards... doesn't have any for this historical issue?)

Look for books on Database design, modeling and Development. You will see some info to help you. Naming convention in Database or Application development is very important.

C. K.
    Apps DBA

I already know coding naming conventions.... and I also know some database naming conventions (in fact I've my own)... but I just want to know if exist any "standard" naming convention.... (It's strange that, in books from authors like Date, this topic isn't mentioned)
    thanks anyway...

Originally posted by cekeke
    Look for books on Database design, modeling and Development. You will see some info to help you. Naming convention in Database or Application development is very important.

C. K.
    Apps DBA

Hi Bart,

Yes, if you're coding in Oracle, Oracle has standard naming convention but it does not mean you can't follow your own naming pattern. Please check oracle documentation at http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/

Exclamation

I already searched in OTN, but I found nothing about Naming convention...

I just really want to know if there is same standard or recommndation about naming in databases...

For example, there is people that say that a table name must be in singular, because it represents an entity. (ie: PRODUCT). Others say that it must be in plural, because it represents a collection of data (PRODUCTS)
    I personally like the first one, but I would like to know if there is any academic white paper (recomendation, publication, standard, whatever...) that establish and fundament things like that.

Another example. The ID of a Table. Continuing with the PRODUCT example, the id of that table should be named:
    a - id
    b - ProductID
    c - id_product
    d - IdProduct
    e - iProductID ("i" from int data type)
    Does it makes sense?

Does anybody have a document or a URL with papers discussing this topic? I don't care if they have different conventions... I just want material to build my own naming convention, or to adopt some standard if it convinces me.

tnxs

Oracle CDM provides some general programming issues
    and the Headstart-utilities contains a lot of naming conventions etc.
    Regards
    Ben de Boer