DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing Oracle

Hi all, I am a newbee learning to install Oracle. I have already installed Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris and created a database. Now, to start the database, I did a

bash-2.05$ svrmgrl
    bash: svrmgrl: command not found

Is there any script which I have to run to enable these options ? All the server commands, like LSNRCTL or OEMCTRL give the same error.

Your environment is not setup correctly. Make sure your $ORACLE_HOME, $LD_LIBARY_PATH, and $ORACLE_SID are set correctly and that $ORACLE_HOME/bin is in your path.

The environment can be set correctly by sourcing the oraenv script usually found in your local bin directory.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks Jeff. That worked. I used
    bash-2.05$ . oraenv to set the variables. But I have to do this each and every time I connect to the server - should it not be a one-time thing ?

[Edited by Shiva on 04-23-2002 at 10:45 AM]

All that is set in a file called .profile
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by Shiva
    Thanks Jeff. That worked. I used
    bash-2.05$ . oraenv to set the variables. But I have to do this each and every time I connect to the server - should it not be a one-time thing ?

[Edited by Shiva on 04-23-2002 at 10:45 AM]
    No, its not a one-time thing. You have to set you environment each and every time you login to the box. If you are only working with one instance on this box, you could set your environment variables in your .profile. Otherwise, you could call oraenv from your .profile...
    Jeff Hunter

Ok, Thanks.

Or if you foresee multiple versions of Oracle or different tools on the same server, you can execute scripts after logging in.

For example, if you plan to run an application server or drive your backup from the same server, the environmental variables might be different. It depends on the number of databases you plan to have and the number of admins.

Good luck.

David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g