DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shutdown is not working

Hi All,

I tried to drop a tablespace which is Occupied 2 GB at one time. But as it is taking long time, I Killed that session Using DBA studio. It suddenly impacted on my system. My system is taking long time for small queries also. I could not able to open tablespaces related screen in DBA studio.

At last, I tried to shutdown the instance using shutdown immediate option. And i waited nearly 3 hrs but I could not able to see any single message for this shutdown. Then I connected through another telnet connection and have given shutdown abort. Its worked and I can able to bring the instance up.

But still i could not able to open the tablespace info related screens through DBA studio. And Still for small transactions it is taking long time. And still it is not allowing me to do the shutdown through immediate option. I checked the alert log. Its showing internal error problem.

Now at any cost, I have to improve the performance. Please help me how can i achive this. I am working on oracle 8.1.6 version and OS is linux. The DB size is nearly 20 GB.

Looking for your help

Sekhar

What did the tablespace contain before you dropped?

What exact error you got in alert log...can you post here...
    do the following steps and post the results...
    1.select * from v$recover_file
    2.select distinct status from dba_data_files
    3.select that particular tablespace status..
    4.Is it sharing any partition tables...if so first drop those segments before dropping this tablespace.
    Did you offline that tablespace before dropping...(to ensure no users using that tablespace while dropping)..
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.