DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Importing 150,000 records

Originally posted by hany
    Thank your for your help Julian, i will sure try that one, by the way what happened to your visit to Egypt? i thought you wanted to come, well be sure that you're always welcome.
    The next country I will visit is definetely Egypt!
    Use KGB's adice too :-)

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

I have found that first dropping, then building indexes manually after an import helps if you have a bunch of indexes on that table.
    Will McCormick (OCP)
    http://www.ramius.net
    wmccormick@ramius.net

I noticed if you put buffer and commit you slow dwn import, I rather have a big rbs to speed up and bypass these two parameters...

Import monitoring

Hi,

If you want to monitor what your import is doing.

You can query the dba_segments view to see if the table is still growing. (select bytes/1024/102 from dba_segments where segment_name = 'imp_table'

You can query the dba_indexes view to see if all your indexes are there. (select index_name from dba_indexes where table_name = 'imp_table'

Or you can see if all your constraints are enforced. (select constraint_name from dba_constraints where table_name = 'imp_table';

Just did an import of a 87 million rows table with 8 indexes and 13 constraints it took 22 hours. Seven hours to get the table data back (7.5 GB) in 13 hours to build the indexes ( 12 GB) 2 hours to enforce the constraints.

HTH

Tycho

ya hany did you solved ur problem. in ur case it should ideally take 10-15 minutes.

as mentioned in earlier posts, try to import only data skipping constraints and indexes. see the performance. still the same then see the rollback segments and log buffer size. see enought memory is allocated. actually many issues have to consdired to get a good performance. at OS level , at Database level.
    Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA

i still need help

hi all,
    i still need help, i'm trying to import again with the parameters Julian provided me :
    "imp userid=user_name/password
    buffer=30000
    file=name.dmp
    tables=table_name
    grants=N
    ignore=Y
    commit=Y
    fromuser=user_name touser=user_name", but i'm afraid it's been importing for 30 minutes now, i queried Dba_segments and the table that i need to import doesn't seem to be growing.
    Please help.

Re: i still need help

Please help.
    Did you disable the triggers and the table constraints before the import?

Oracle Certified Master

The table didn't exist Julian, i'm creating a new user and importing the whole schema which contains that table.

The table didn't exist Julian, i'm creating a new user and importing the whole schema which contains that table.
    Could it be that there are actually much more than 150000 rows? Could it be that those rows are "big" as Jurij suggested. Could it be that your Network connection is slow? You mentioned that you are doing the import from home.

Try Pando's suggestion: forget commit and buffer and use one big undo segment. Do you know how to do that?

Oracle Certified Master

yes i do, i will try that too, thanks Julian, i'll inform you if it works (or if it doesn't)