DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: IMP-00069 Problem

Thumbs up

Hi All,

When i am trying to use the imp utility to port the data from my production server to test bed i am getting the below error. Please help me what to do now.

import done in WE8ISO8859P1 character set and US7ASCII NCHAR character set

import server uses US7ASCII character set (possible charset conversion)

IMP-00069: Could not convert to environment national character set's handle

IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully

Thankx,
    Sekhar

the database in which u are importing from the data should be of same character set as the dump file.
    Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA

Can you help me how can i know the character set of the exported database and how can i change my dbs character set to that.

Originally posted by sjadhavdba
    the database in which u are importing from the data should be of same character set as the dump file.

Imp will not stop you because of character set conversion. It takes care auotmatically. Thats why i could not understand what is actual problem

Originally posted by sjadhavdba

Talking

Hi

In order to cahnge the charcter set of of your database .You need to rebuild the database.use database configuration assistant to create a new database there is a option to change the character set of the DB on its GUI utility.

If you run import without changing the caharcterset your data will be useless

regards
    Hrishy

Talking

Import and characterset conversion will not work if your dump file was made in chartacterset which is subset of characterset you are importing to, I mean US7ASCII is a subset of WE8ISO8859P1, you will be able to import from US7ASCII to WE8ISO8859P1, but you will not be able to import from superset to subset. Do you understand now?

Originally posted by Sekhar
    Imp will not stop you because of character set conversion. It takes care auotmatically. Thats why i could not understand what is actual problem
    Best wishes!
    Dmitri

If you run import from US7ASCII to WE8ISO8859P1 you may lose national characters, it may depend on Oracle version. I had this porblem in 8.1.5, (the same with UTF8)
    Automatic characterset conversion does not work perfect.

Originally posted by hrishy
    If you run import without changing the caharcterset your data will be useless
    Best wishes!
    Dmitri