DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question on Rollbacksegment v/s Transaction

Hi

I was asked by some one like this:

When we have a big trasaction, we will assign it to a BIG rollback segment to handle it.

How big it can be. Do we keep increasing it as we need or what is the best way of handling the BIG transaction. What is the limit.

Can any one clarify this as I could not think any think else other than increasing the size as we need. But it may not be practical.

Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

Limit?, It's is only limited by the size of teh trasaction the MAX extents of the RBS segments and RBS tablespace.

Bring it online for the transaction, take it offline as soon as the trans starts (offline pending) so no other transactions can share it.

That's it...
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Bigest insert update delete on a table before commit won't be more then yr bigest table in the database if it is so u may keep bigest rollback segmenet equal to the bigest table size of yr database

make it online before yr process
    use set transaction use rollbacksegment statment before process
    make it ofline once u finished yr process

I do it this way it may help you too.

Originally posted by anujpathak
    Bigest insert update delete on a table before commit won't be more then yr bigest table in the database if it is so u may keep bigest rollback segmenet equal to the bigest table size of yr database

make it online before yr process
    use set transaction use rollbacksegment statment before process
    make it ofline once u finished yr process

I do it this way it may help you too.

You have to do a commit before to use the set transaction use rollback segment rbs_big statement.

cheers

Angel

Thanks for your reply, that's what I am also doing, I thought if there is some thing else also.
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

If you make it offline once you are finished ONLY, other transactions will share the large rollback segment. If you don't want to share it take it OFFLINE as soon as you assign the transaction to the segment. As I said, NO other transactions will be able to access it whilst the rollback's segment is in OFFLINE-PENDING state.

And remember, an explicit commit will end the current transactions assignement to the SET TRASACTION TO ROLLBACK SEGMENT.

*Oh, my 500th post, well, time to take a tiny bow. Slow and steady they say.*

Cheers

[Edited by grjohnson on 04-14-2002 at 07:27 PM]
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia