DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsatisfied DBA??

A funnyt curiosity:

Has anyone come across a DBA who is not satisfied with his work. Very rare. This job is one of the very few jobs that gives compelete "Job Satisfaction". Its the job like any artist or Scientist who feel job-satisfied. Its very important. Afterall life is just a short transient and its very important we do something we like rather than just for money.

Just passing my thoughts. Any interactions...

I have learned to compartmentalize the job satisfaction from all otehr elements such as people/their opinions/communication breakdown etc.

but i guess a dba who's baby sitting but wants to be a real is definitely not a happy person.

As long as i keep loving oracle, I'll be staisfied. All the other aspects are all relative/comparitive.(wages/company car/being a real dba/being a bull**** dba...)

If you're not happy/satisfied then you gotta move on. And you're right life is like a bubble so do things what you like.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

i too agree with freak. i've been there in IT world since 4 yrs but only one year as a Oracle DBA and thats what i was waiting for. i'm in love with Oracle n so job. i love to spend 12 hrs playing with Oracle. i'm still eager to learn new things. as an as i go deep into it i feel to learn more things. i still think there's a lot to study.

what can i say more . ORACLE is a vast galaxy and as the DATABASE. and ofcourse how could i forget DBASUPPORT a great forum far better than Oracle's .

any way FREAK it seems to be like ur new to database and i like the type of questions u ask. ur totally involved into it. good keep it up.

[Edited by sjadhavdba on 04-11-2002 at 07:46 AM]
    Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA

Originally posted by sjadhavdba
    i too agree with freak. i've been there in IT world since 4 yrs but only one year as a Oracle DBA and thats what i was waiting for. i'm in love with Oracle n so job. i love to spend 12 hrs playing with Oracle. i'm still eager to learn new things. as an as i go deep into it i feel to learn more things. i still think there's a lot to study.

what can i say more . ORACLE is a vast galaxy and as the DATABASE. and ofcourse how could i forget DBASUPPORT a great forum far better than Oracle's .

any way FREAK it seems to be like ur new to database and i like the type of questions u ask. ur totally involved into it. good keep it up.

[Edited by sjadhavdba on 04-11-2002 at 07:46 AM]
    Hey thanks. Yes as you said I am a fresher in DBA. Sometimes I may even irritate by asking too primitive questions. But this board has been a great treasure. All seniors are very helpful.

Originally posted by Tarry

As long as i keep loving oracle, I'll be staisfied. All the other aspects are all relative/comparitive.(wages/company car/being a real dba/being a bull**** dba...)
    Very well said Tarry.

I quit production DBA work many years ago because I wanted to be a developer. As a DBA you were stuck at the end of the chain receiving scripts produced by developers, running them and then reporting back that they had fallen over somewhere. There wasn't much opportunity to get involved in the design of systems - you just spent your days fire-fighting and keeping the databse running.

I also dislilked the way people would make statements like "security is the responsibility of the DBA". How can a DBA, who hasn't been involved with a development, possibly know what grants, roles etc to set up when a system goes live unless the developers tell him ? If the developers haven't thought about it (and quite often they haven't), there is no way the DBA can retrospectively go through a complicated application and divine what security to set up.

What I'm saying is that, as well as production DBA, you really need a development DBA who can advise on things like security, tuning, tablespace set up before the system goes live. I don't think most production DBAs could do this because they're too busy.

I don't want to be a killjoy but there are much more things in this world that are more satisfactory to a normal person than Oracle.

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by julian
    I don't want to be a killjoy but there are much more things in this world that are more satisfactory to a normal person than Oracle.
    You are right.

But hey, I never tried to measure "statisfaction" in a relative sense. I only tried to say that Oracle DBA generally is very satisfied with his job.

I reallly enjoy the Oracle technology and like most aspects of DBA work. I LOVE being challanged, but get bored with not learning new things. When I get bored for to long... my feet get itchy.

I'm happy striving to be the best DBA I can be....

That's it...
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Originally posted by julian

Yeah, great reply

I LOVE MY LIFE, SPORTS, READ .... I WORK WITH ORACLE. Of course, i try to do as well as i can, but I think it is very sad to say I love working with Oracle.

All is relative, if you ask Do you love the rain?

1. Yes, for reading at home
    2. No for playing football.

Stop with this kind of threads. This is not a chatroom

Angel

It's not sad to say that people love their jobs... I'd rather love my job than hate it...unfortunatley it's borderline at the moment.... ekkk!
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia