DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NT Event Log (Urgent)

Dear all,

I have 7.3.4 in NT 4.0. In the NT event viewer, I found some logs which occurs from 2000 till now. The event id is 16 and the event message is :

Instance XXX has been terminated.

However, the database has not been shutdown and there is no error in the alert log file. What is this message means?

Thanks!

Originally posted by lorenchu
    Dear all,

I have 7.3.4 in NT 4.0. In the NT event viewer, I found some logs which occurs from 2000 till now. The event id is 16 and the event message is :

Instance XXX has been terminated.

However, the database has not been shutdown and there is no error in the alert log file. What is this message means?

Thanks!
    Hi,

This is just a warning. When you shutdown database, NT event log generates this message.

I also have similar messages.

Not to worry...

Sam
    ------------------------
    To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart

But the most strange thing is: The database has not been shutdown and this message still generated!

If any of the Oracle services are shutdown and started you find that in the event log with the specific service name which can be identified in the services listing which can be located in control panel. Instance is refers to a combination of components working together.
    sonofsita
    http://www.ordba.net

Hi

I get the same message in the Event Viewer for 3 months now - continously. I'm running Oracle 8.1.7 on Win NT 4.0. The event viewer logs saying ...

Instance has been terminated

This occurs 6 times every moment of time, i.e., for eg., 6 times at 5:02:37 PM and so on... ??

The most suprising thing is that the instance is still up with developers accessing this db all the time.

Any pointers ? Suprised that this comes in 7.3 also, so it can't be a bug of 8.1.7... or is it ?

Thanks & Regards.

ggnanaraj

Do you have any DBMS_JOBs running on your database? Do you kill any of those jobs sessions occasionaly?

If you do, the job process will terminate and the message will be written into your event log: "Instance SID has been terminated". Shortly after (depending on your JOB_QUEUE_INTERVAL parameter) Oracle's SNP process will be restarted again and you'll find the following message in your event log: "Initializing PGA for process SNPn in instance prod".

So it doesn't realy mean that your database instance has been terminated, its only one of the background SNPn processes that has been killed.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Hi jmodic

Thanks for your reply.

There are no jobs scheduled/running. Moreover, no similar message like ...

"Initializing PGA for process SNPn in instance prod".

is also not there, the application log of event viewer is only filled with

"Instance hris has been terminated"

However, the developers have implemented connection pooling for the db connection using code in ASP, JAVA, etc...
    I suspect that this is the problem. ?? What do you think ?

Thanks & Regards.