DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory Restriction

Thumbs down

I have a brand new Dell server with 4GB of RAM running Windows 2000 Server. When I go to install Oracle 8.1.6 Enterprise Server it crashes on DB creation saying that there is insufficient memory to create a table. I was sceptical so I checked my swap file- plenty of room there (8 gigs). I then checked my Physical RAM usage and it said I had 3.4 gigs available. Why does the setup engine crash? There is plenty of memory available.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

THere are known problems with the Oracle Installer on Intel P4s in 8i. If this is what you have, you need to get the patches for the installer from Metalink or OTN.

by the by, I did a 9i install on a system and also saw that the installer used 600+MB of memory. Nice to see confirmation. Who was it that said we would never need as much as 640K? I think they had something to do with WIndows.
    Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CDP,CCP
    'The answer is 42'

What was the error? It almost sounds like you didn't have enough space in one of your tablespaces.
    Jeff Hunter

Well that was the thing. The installer crapped out when creating the default database- on the first table. It wasn't like I was adding a table after the database was already created. I didn't even get that far. I've installed 8.1.6 enterprise server in excess of 200 times on hardware ranging from a 266 Mhz with 64 mb of ram to a P4 with a gig of Ram and this is the first machine that I've installed on to have more than 1 gig of ram. Is it possible that I have too much RAM? Or that the OS isn't set up properly to address 4 gigs of RAM. I know that win 2k server supports of to 4 gigs but do I need to configure anything?
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

The error message was:

ORA-27102 out of memory error

I couldn't find much documentation on this.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Code:
    Error:	ORA-27102
    Text:	out of memory 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cause:	Out of memory.
    Action:	Consult the trace file for details.
    Was there a trace file?
    Jeff Hunter

Where would I locate the trace file?
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

$ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/bdump or udump
    Jeff Hunter

This error means, the installer is unable to start the instance because it could not get enough memory for the SGA.
    svk

It couldn't get enough memory? I have 3.4 gigs available. I really don't think having ENOUGH memory is the problem.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA