DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: ROLE OF A DBA

Originally posted by sjadhavdba
    is there any way to skip this while installation using DB Assist. if not is it really necessary. cause at least i never make use of these tablespaces.
    That's why I said I allways manualy edit the scripts created by DBCA. I never let DBCA to create the database immediately, I allways choose "save scripts" option. Then I review those scripts carefully, delete the unwanted stuff, add the missing stuff, correct the wrong stuff... And then I run it step by step in comand line.

I find this process much quicker and much less error-prone than starting manually from scratch.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    That's why I said I allways manualy edit the scripts created by DBCA. I never let DBCA to create the database immediately, I allways choose "save scripts" option. Then I review those scripts carefully, delete the unwanted stuff, add the missing stuff, correct the wrong stuff... And then I run it step by step in comand line.

I find this process much quicker and much less error-prone than starting manually from scratch. [/B]
    oh man!

i never thought of doing so. oh thats really very fantastic and secure too.

oh thanx Jurij. now thats what i call again the MODERATOR.

it was so easy. it will be so easy.

[Edited by sjadhavdba on 04-21-2002 at 05:52 AM]
    Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA

Julian, that means you don't create the unnecesary tablespace created by DB Assistant viz. tools, indx, etc if you are creating another tablespaces for your stuff.
    well I have never used db assist to create the database, just create the scripts, this not only to delete unwanted stuffs but also because the assistant cannot create locally mnaaged tablespaces which is mainly used nowdays

oh man!

i never thought of doing so. oh thats really very fantastic and secure too.

oh thanx Jurij. now thats what i call again the MODERATOR.

it was so easy. it will be so easy.

[Edited by sjadhavdba on 04-21-2002 at 05:52 AM] [/B]
    Oh joy, oh rapture :-))

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

I agree to much of what Jurij said. Even though I initially started of shell scripts and sql plus scripts, I personally prefer the GUI tools. I dont agree to anykind of security violation as even your OEM tools can run over the security software like kerberos or so. I have not found any violation of security with OEM tools. I sometimes use Expert to get a good tuning recommendation tips, DBA Studio to administer at one place-one shot console, OEM repository for almost 18 databases Iam workin on. Amazing features are there with OEM tools for lights out administration except that you would have to gain skills with TCL scripting. I would like to ask the whole forum a question reg two things
    1. TCL Scripting- Is there any book or resource available to start to learn TCL scripting
    2. Even though Iam a certified DBA, my weak spot is tuning. I would like to strengthen my skills in this. Can anyone suggest any good resource as documentation has not been of any help to me, to develop my skills on tuning, in particular SQL tuning.

Originally posted by julian

[/B]
    whats that Julian
    Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA

Originally posted by julian
    whats that Julian [/B]
    Julian just likes to throw his $.02 in whether it's helpful or not. He forgot to throw in the [humor][/humor] tags...
    Jeff Hunter

hi guys

what is ur opinion on Oracle 9i Database? How is ur experience on that.

-- Gayatri Selvarajan

Please open another thread for this question...
    Jeff Hunter