DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can anybody give me an explanation?

Question

Can anybody give me an explanation regarding some Oracle license issues?

My manager asks me to present a copy of Oracle legal paper
    which tells why do we need to have a separate license for
    a standby database we have.
    One year ago company purchased 2 licences - one for production and a second one for a standby database, this very database is never visible for customers, the switchover process is manual, so can anybody give me a link to an official document which can explain all the cases when we do need to have a separate license for an standby database? In my case as far as I understand the standy database works just like a development machine, it`s not a part of cluster, it`s behind of firewall, it`s not visible for customers, so, must it be treated as a development platform or not, and how to draw a line here anyway?
    Oracle sales people I`ve contacted before were unable to give a reasonble explanation, they are not a technical persons and don`t know the words 'cluster', 'firewall', whatsoever, they act just like a jerks in car dealership trying to sell as much as possible...
    So, where is the truth?

Oracle licensing is a very difficult process indeed. Since Oracle has switched their licensing policy 3 times in the last 3 years, it would be impossible for us to determine what your situation is. I suggest you contact your Oracle Sales rep. If you are not satisfied with their explanation, keep going up the chain.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Oracle licensing is a very difficult process indeed. Since Oracle has switched their licensing policy 3 times in the last 3 years, it would be impossible for us to determine what your situation is. I suggest you contact your Oracle Sales rep. If you are not satisfied with their explanation, keep going up the chain.
    Well, of course I`m doing this, but it must be a pretty simple question, the only thing I need is a link to a document which can explain in what cases we do need a separate license for a standby database.
    Do you have a standby database? Do you have a license for it? Why?
    Question looks pretty simple, yeah?

Question looks simple, yes. However, the answer is not so simple. When Oracle changed their licensing three years ago, I had one standby database that was covered by one type of license and another standby that was not covered and I had to buy another license.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Question looks simple, yes. However, the answer is not so simple. When Oracle changed their licensing three years ago, I had one standby database that was covered by one type of license and another standby that was not covered and I had to buy another license.
    Looks like Oracle sales have a simple reaction: word 'standby' means 'one more license from this sucker'. :(
    I`m just curious then - if I install a standby database for a development server - should I buy a license for it as well?

Gosh, I spent 2 days already trying to get a truth and nobody even can to give a reasonable answer... Well, looks like I`m not the only one who has such a problem...

Thanks, anyway, it was helpful,
    have a good one...

That is Oracle.