DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Informix to Oracle

In several months we will be moving an Informix DB over to Oracle 8i Has anyone done this before? Is so, are there any potential problems/issues/concerns we should be aware of beforehand?

Originally posted by mallard
    In several months we will be moving an Informix DB over to Oracle 8i Has anyone done this before? Is so, are there any potential problems/issues/concerns we should be aware of beforehand?
    ... even the normal question is "WHY?", I should ask you about what applications are you running now, on which platform / environment.
    as long as applications is not your (actual) concern, oracle dba is 100% diff. than Informix...
    let us know exactly what you 'r afraid, and will try to help you.

As to why we are migrating the Informix to Oracle... the Informix database is the only one in our organization that is not Oracle. It was purchased as a whole solution along w/ the application about 10 yrs ago. We are upgrading the application, OS, etc and have decided to also move to Oracle for this db in order to streamline our systems. Also, as an IT organization, we have much more experience with Oracle than with Informix.

We are more concerned w/ the actual migration of the data from an Informix db to the Oracle db. Are there any potential "gotchas".....fields types that don't migrate well, types that are not compatible between the two dbs, etc.?

It is not easy migrating from Informaix to Oracle.

Create a oracle test database.

Try to move one table at a time.
    You will come to know the real problems.