DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can cursor's result set being updated dynamically?

Question

Hi all,

I have a developer using SQL Server's dynamic cursor which means after he opens the cursor, he can get committed changes made by anyone and uncommitted changes made by the him when he fetches the data the next time. i.e. after the cursor gets opened, the result set will be updated dynamically until the cursor get closed.

He wants me to find a counterpart in Oracle while I don't think there is an exact match. As far as I know, Oracle always maintain at least statement level read consistency, so once the cursor being opened, the result set will be static unless you open the cursor again. Is that right?

If that's correct, how can he compare the differenece between the result set when the cursor is opened and closed?

Thanks in advance for your reply...

When a cursor is opened it will read data, consistent at that point of time.So you would be updataing only those data.U can see the changes made by another user on the same set of data only after re-executing the cursor. when the cursor is closed the cursor will not have any result sets to compare.

Regards
    anandkl
    anandkl