DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Package Freeze

I've got a thick package (8.1.7, Sun Box) which runs against 5 main tables. As I execute the package, it appears to simply stop at a certain point in the logic; no error message, the process executing the code just hangs (without consuming any resources), making it necessary to kill the session on both Oracle and Unix platforms. I've tried messing around with the init params, bouncing the database, running off hours, analyzing the current code in v$open_cursor and v$sql...if I comment out the section of code which hangs, the package will proceed to the next sql cursor and hang there. This package runs perfectly well in test and development instances, but I've been unable to isolate any major difference between the instances that would account for this phenomenon.
    I'd appreciate greatly and help you could provide, or even if you've got any ideas about where to look or research in trying to solve this problem. Thanks,
    - R

Have you checked that this is not a locking isue? Maybe your package stopped because it is waiting for a locked resource. For example it might be triying to lock a row in a table, but this row is allready locked by some other transaction - so your package must wait untill that other transaction either commits or rollbacks... And in the meantime your session will consume allmost none of the CPU or I/O resources, it will just wait ther, appearing as it has hanged.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?