DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: COMPUTE statement performance

Question

How is the performanced of the Orcle "COMPUTE" statement? My table consists of 1mill records and would like to know if this will slow down other processes going on on the db and if it will take 15mins, 30mis or how long.

Thanks.

Sure, it takes resources, it will slow other things down. How much it will slow things down depends on what type of transactions you have, how much your temp space is used, how your physical structure is laid out, how much box you have, etc., etc.

I've computed statisics on a 1M row 2 column table on a Sun E5500 with 6x400Mhz processors, 6G RAM, 12 FC connected 0+1 filesystems in about 2 minutes.

I've computed statistics on a 1M row 120 column table on a Dell 1x233Mhz processor with 128M RAM and 1 5400RPM 6.4G disk in 2 days.
    Jeff Hunter

if u have time constraint then why dont u make use of dbms_stats package.

you may want to fire dbms_stats package for that table with just 10 percent stats and parallel clause to around 4-8 ( if u have ).

then it should come out pretty fast over simple serial compute command.

** dbms_stats starts with 8i i guess
    Thanx
    Jr.

If you mean the SQL*PLUS Compute (rather than the analyze compute) the overhead is negligible. It depends more on the efficiency of the SQL statement.
    Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CDP,CCP
    'The answer is 42'

Originally posted by jrpm
    If you mean the SQL*PLUS Compute (rather than the analyze compute) the overhead is negligible. It depends more on the efficiency of the SQL statement.
    Sorry about that.
    i mean compute in 'Analyze...Compute' syntax , and i guess
    the question was not related to Statistics collection....
    really sorry about this.

Jr.

[Edited by Jr on 03-26-2002 at 02:05 PM]

Originally posted by Jr
    Originally posted by jrpm
    Sorry about that.
    i mean compute in 'Analyze...Compute' syntax , and i guess
    the question was not related to Statistics collection....
    really sorry about this.

Jr.

[Edited by Jr on 03-26-2002 at 02:05 PM]
    One more thing. To calculate the min, max, std, mean...from table1 can I use the following statement:

ANALYZE TABLE1 COMPUTE STATISTICS

Not sure what this will give me as I don't have dba privilages.
    Thanks.

ANALYZE TABLE ... COMPUTE STATISTICS gives the optimizer statistics about the behaviour of the data in the table. It has nothing to do with SQL Functions used to calculate statistical values. See http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...ion.htm#998166 for instructions on how to use those functions.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    ANALYZE TABLE ... COMPUTE STATISTICS gives the optimizer statistics about the behaviour of the data in the table. It has nothing to do with SQL Functions used to calculate statistical values. See http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...ion.htm#998166 for instructions on how to use those functions.
    The problem with this is that it is too time consuming. I need a quick way to get the stats.

To save some time, why don'tyou use the ANALYZE.....ESTIMATE STATISTICS instead to get the optimize statistics that you are looking for.

well you can set up incremental statistics gathering, just add monitor attributes to the table you want and schedule a job to gather statistics with dbms_stats, this way you dont have to analyze the whole table (only the first time)

the other way is set a large sort_area_size in your analyze session to speed up