DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recover the database !Urgent

Do you have your online redo log file?

Sounds like you're not really sure what you have. Below is a link that can help you out in a variety of recovery situations.
    http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...T&p_id=69468.1

[Edited by marist89 on 03-25-2002 at 04:17 PM]
    Jeff Hunter

If your server crashed and all you database file is ok.

Then, there is no need to do media recover. All you need is instance recover. So retrive all database file. Get another machine, startup the database.

startup

That is all you need to do. You will have all commited data in your database. You will lost all uncommited data.

Marist, I think I'm interested in the link you gave here, but it needs authentification, and the account that I have on Oracle portal (lots of sites) doesn't work. Could you help me with this, please? Or it is not a free account policy?
    ovidius over!

This is a link from metalink. Metalink is free to those people who have valid support contracts with Oracle.
    Jeff Hunter

arunkumar

Every one in here tried to help you and I guess you confused every body. At one time, you said you have physical backup and another time you said you don't. One time you said you have logical backup.

I think you have both physical backup and logical backup handed but correct me if I am wrong. When is the last time you have the physical backup ??? Is it before the server crash ??? How did you do your backup ??? cOld or hot ??? I just want to be sure that if you do cold backup, you have to backup offline or else all of your physical backup are useless. If you have good physical backup, why would you want to import your data and apply the archive ????

For more details -

mention properly if you use only export for your backup purpose. if no, then how do u backup .
    cold backup means - shutdown and copy all datafiles, logfiles, controlfiles, parameter files to some other place.
    hot backup means - while the database is in open state - u backup the single tablespace / datafile at a time using alter tablespace statement.

which methodology do u use exactly. and if u use all of the above methods what when is the last one. if u mention it clearly then i'm sure u'll get the immediate solution.
    Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA