DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd occurance of ORA-03113

Unhappy

I am issuing a delete command on a table in SQL Plus (8.0.5) and I recieve the following error:

DELETE BUSN;
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

I have no problems issuing select statements or other complicated queries, no problem updating or adding rows, but when I try to delete the rows in the table (and there are only 11) I get this error.

After I get the error, my session is dropped and when I try to reconnect to the database SQL Plus totally crashes with an access violation and I must restart SQL Plus entirely.

It might also be of value to note that this table is the only one out of 157 that is having a problem. Several of which had over 15,000 records in them.

Any suggestions? I'm stumped.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Is this SQL Plus on the client or server?

OS would also probably help narrow things a bit.

Just curious, why is the error "Delete busn;"? wouldn't it be delete from busn where...

Have you tried to truncate the table (if you have no criteria in your delete SQL)?

-Ken

The OS is NT 4 Server and I am using SQL Plus 8.0.5 client to access another nt4 server.

I am looking to delete all rows in the table (only 11) so I didn't specify a where clause. I used the same method for another table with 15,000 + records and had no issues. basically I am wiping all the tables in a training database for a client's live operation.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

I don't know what the problem is, but try truncate table...

truncate table [tablename]

Just curious if there's a difference. Oh, and truncate will be faster because it doesn't create any redo or rollback segs.

-Ken

It's hard to give you an clear answer since we don't know much about your database;however, couple things you can do

1. look into your alert file and see if you see an errors
    2. make sure you don't have any triggers or or thing relates to your delete that could causes this symptons

let us know

When using SQL Plus, truncate table generates the same error. There are no triggers on delete or truncate on the BUSN table.

I just wound up deleting the rows using a third party application one at a time and had no problems. I then created new rows and went into SQL Plus and had no problem deleting the rows. Not sure why a corrupt row might crash the session. Any suggesiotns there?
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Search in ALERT.log file for the accompanying error messages. Which will guide us to find the actual problem, if any.

Seems to me like you are hitting a bug in 8.0.5, which are fixed in 8.0.6 or a 8.0.5.2 patch set , plz find some more info by a click on the following :

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...p_id=32297.996

I think you wont be getting support of 8.0.5 from ORACLE.

If this doent help, may be you may need to an event in initi.ora, to check with the trace file for this error.

Thanks,
    Madhu

We had a bunch of really ugly and unexplained or even patched errors with 8.0.5 and 8.0.6 when using UTF8.

Upgrading to 8.1.6 squelched all those problems.

-Ken

I don't know if it is of any signifigance but I got the following error when i tried the delete operation on another table.

delete callfile
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [12403], [], [], [], [], [], [], []

I was also able to delete each row manually and it works fine.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA