DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shrinking Tablespaces...

Hybrid View

Thumbs up

Hi,

I have created a table which we need to test for performance impace in a tablespace with 2 GB. We have some more objects which are already existed in this tablespace. Our table have been occupied nearly 1.7 GB.

Now after our all experiments I droped that Table. and i got the 1.7 GB freeSpace in that tablespace. But I could not able to shrink that tablespace till to my requirement.

When i am trying to shrinking it .. it is giving oracle error that I cannt give the min space which i occupied. but actually now it is just 200 MB is occupied. I want to give 500 MB for this and use the remaining 1.5 GB for another purpose.

Please help me to come out from this problem.

Thankx and Regards,
    Sekhar

what command u executed for shrinking.

use

alter database datafile 'path\datafile' resize 500m
    Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA

I am using DBA Studio...

Originally posted by sjadhavdba
    what command u executed for shrinking.

use

alter database datafile 'path\datafile' resize 500m

then resize it in the studio.../
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Its not allowing me to resize .. Its giving Problem that the size which i gave is not free to give .. but the space is available now which we used before.

Hi, you can't free space of a datafile (with 'alter database datafile '..' resize') which was already allocated to an object (like a table) - even if this object doesn't exist anymore (highwatermark principle). The only possibility for you to make the tablespace/the datafile smaler is to export all the objects inside this tablespace, drop & recreate the tablespace (with a smaler size) and import the objects again.

Greetings,

Kirsten

Yours datas don´t continuos, shrinking don´t resolve.
    You need export data, drop tablespace, create new tablespace with new size and import.
    Márcio de Souza Almeida
    DBA Oracle / SQLServer / PostgreSQL
    Rua Cupa, 139 Apto 85 A
    Penha - São Paulo - SP
    03640-000 - Brasil
    http://www.directory.com.br

I had the same problem when archiving a partitioned table. If you still have objects in that tablespaces is not necessary to drop them, you can move them in a different tablespace, then resize the file then move them back. After I truncated the table, even though the size was zero, the segment was still there somewere and that's why I got the same error message like you. Same for the indexes.
    I send you the code, maybe it helps

"alter table sfia.vehicle_history truncate partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " drop storage"
    "alter table sfia.vehicle_history move partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " tablespace sfia_data"
    "alter index sfia.veh_hist_idx rebuild partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " tablespace sfia_data"
    "alter database datafile 'e:\sfiadbs\dbs\sfia_history_data_" & Trim(Str(i)) & ".ora' resize 10k"
    "alter table sfia.vehicle_history move partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " tablespace sfia_hist" & Trim(Str(i))
    "alter index sfia.veh_hist_idx rebuild partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " tablespace sfia_hist" & Trim(Str(i))

Yes, I did this export , import things earlier . . But through DB studio, it is allowing me to shrink the Datafile Sizes if it is never used with any object.

This looking helpful for me.. I do try it..

Thankx

Originally posted by gab
    I had the same problem when archiving a partitioned table. If you still have objects in that tablespaces is not necessary to drop them, you can move them in a different tablespace, then resize the file then move them back. After I truncated the table, even though the size was zero, the segment was still there somewere and that's why I got the same error message like you. Same for the indexes.
    I send you the code, maybe it helps

"alter table sfia.vehicle_history truncate partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " drop storage"
    "alter table sfia.vehicle_history move partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " tablespace sfia_data"
    "alter index sfia.veh_hist_idx rebuild partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " tablespace sfia_data"
    "alter database datafile 'e:\sfiadbs\dbs\sfia_history_data_" & Trim(Str(i)) & ".ora' resize 10k"
    "alter table sfia.vehicle_history move partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " tablespace sfia_hist" & Trim(Str(i))
    "alter index sfia.veh_hist_idx rebuild partition " + Partition_Name(i) + " tablespace sfia_hist" & Trim(Str(i))