DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle8.1.7 installation questions

Hi,
    I am new to Oracle.
    I have Windows98, and I have about 1.6GB free space. Will I be able to install Oracle8.1.7 on my PC since it is the only free download from Oracle and that Oracle9i cannot be installed on Win98? What is the pre-installation steps I must take. Thanks to all.

Holmes

hi holmes,

You can install the oracle 8.1.7, the space available in ur pc is sufficient. There is no need for pre-installation precautions to be taken. Just see that u can allot some 700 mb space for the installation.

regards,
    vinodh

Hi,
    Yes you will be able to install Oracle 8.1.7 on your PC but you will be able to only install Oracle 8i client and not the server as you need a WINNT or WINDOWS 2000 server to load the Oracle 8.1.7 server.Oracle 9i can be installed on Windows 98 but it will also be a client and not the server.If your machine is Pentium 4 then you will not be able to install Oracle 8i or Oracle 9i as there is a bug in jre and there is a workaround to that bug.
    In case of any help needed please be free to ask me at
    oracle-support@indiatimes.com

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP 8i
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com

Originally posted by rohitsn
    Hi,
    Yes you will be able to install Oracle 8.1.7 on your PC but you will be able to only install Oracle 8i client and not the server as you need a WINNT or WINDOWS 2000 server to load the Oracle 8.1.7 server.Oracle 9i can be installed on Windows 98 but it will also be a client and not the server.If your machine is Pentium 4 then you will not be able to install Oracle 8i or Oracle 9i as there is a bug in jre and there is a workaround to that bug.
    In case of any help needed please be free to ask me at

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP 8i
    Thanks guys for your replies.

If I can only install Oracle8i client, will I be able to achieve basic Oracle tasks: like using SQL, SQL *Plus? If yes, should I download just Oracle8.1.7 client software or it is included in Oracle8.1.7? What are other choices for me to install a complete Oracle? Is Oracle8.1.6 better-suited for Win98?
    Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Holmes

Hi,
    Yes when u run the setup.exe depending on OS running Oracle will automatically install the Oracle 8.1.7 client .So in you case Oracle will automatically install client 8.1.7 on Windows98. Go for Oracle 8.1.7 instead of Oracle 8.1.6 as many bugs which are there in Oracle 8.1.6 are removed from Oracle 8.1.7

regards,
    ROhit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP8i
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com