DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bug list for 9i

Julian mentioned in another post the bug list for 9i. Where is the bug list?

I tried on Metalink to enter only 9.0.1 Enterprise database for Sun 64-bit, Solaris 5.8 without keyword(s) or a bug number and it came back empty. I would like to see the list.
    Don't blame me, I'm from Red Sox Nation.

You may wish to search " 9i bug list " on the following link

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/search.php

Thanks for the advice, I searched using "9i bug list" and I will now wiggle through some of it. I guess my fantasy of an official bug list posted somewhere was just that - a fantasy.

What's a little scary is that in July, our shop will be running Oracle 9i in a "serious production environment."
    Don't blame me, I'm from Red Sox Nation.

Originally posted by gopi
    Julian mentioned in another post the bug list for 9i. Where is the bug list?
    Just look at metalink Note 156751.1. It is a list of bugs fixed in the 9.0.1.X Patch Sets. If the list was no that long, I would have simply copy-pasted it here :-)

Now, think of it that way: with so many bugs fixed in the 9.0.1.X Patch Sets, how many are unfixed?

I know several companies run production on 9i, but it is my personal opinion that this is sort of a harakiri. There are several top-guru DBAs here in this forum running 9i in production; and especially if they need the features of 9i, they have made the good decision. I will also upgrade prod., probably when Release 2 shows up.

I still hit bugs in 8.1.7.3.0 but using the Parallel Server option. Usually, Larry's guys first fix the normal versions and only afterwards the parallel version (OPS). Would you go for RAC in 9i, if you have 24x7 DBs?

BTW, I heard (from within Oracle) that 10i will not probably come within the next 3-4 years. They are making a major new version. That's all I know :-)

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

well, oracle internal schedule newsletter (kind of) stated that 10i was due March 2002 LOL (this is from Oracle employees when I attended 9i course)
    what I heard and pretty certain is that Parallel processes will be threads (like informix) from next major version

Not that I will profit anything by persuading anyone to start new projects (or run "serious productions") with 9i immediately instead of using "old, reliable and allready-cleaned-and-desinfected 8.1.7.x", but I think we should be fair and objective.

And I think showing a list of bug fixes in 9.0.1 as a proof how buggy 9i is compaired to 8.1.7 is not fair, not objective and it is short-sighted. If you realy take this as a proof of how unreliable 9i is compared to 8.1.7, one should also take a look on the other side of that medal: take a look of the sime list of bug fixes for 8.1.7.3 patch-set! It is a very loooonglist, I can assure you. True, it includes all fixes from 8.1.7.0 onwards, but if you browse through it you'll see that probably the majority of them is only fixed in 8.1.7.3! And as Julian said, one might ask himself: "Hey, if this bug list is so long, who knows how many of them are still in there!" And we are talking 8.1.7.3 here. And yes, there are still many in there. And guess what? Many of them are allready discovered and reported. And guess where they are fixed? In 9.0.*!!!! I'm not talking bullsh**t here, go to Metalink and search the bug database. You'll see how many bugs reported for 8.1.7.3 (and earlier releases) hew a mark down there that said: "Fixed in release: 9.0.*". Just today when I logged in to Metalink, among my todays headlines was a bug report about the bug found on 8.1.7 which caused, under certain circumstances, wrong result set to be returned from a query. And guess in which release this bug is allready fixed? Not in 8.1.7.3, but in 9.0.1!

Let's face it. Oracle database server is such a huge piece of software, running on so many different platforms, that no matter which release you take, if you look at its bugfixes, it will be sceary long list. If the length of this lists realy scares you that much, what will you do? Switch to other database vendor? IBM? Microsoft? ....? Do you think their bugfixes lists are any shorter? I bet they are not.

With such software beasts there will allways be bugs. A lot of them. But you'll probably newer hit more than a few of them. Maybe you'll even never hit any of them if you apply available patches more or less regulary.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?