DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tim/Julian/9i Gurus Advice

I'm preparing for my 9i upgrade exam on nt2000.
    I need advice from you guys regarding preparing for this last exam which I plan to take.

As there is no break down of qs available for this exam I'm wondering how to prepare. Which chapters or areas should I pay more attention to. Any specific topics which I should focus on.

Are there any fill in the blanks in this exam
    What is the format of questions multiple choice questions.
    Any parameter, Dynamic Views or SQL Statement oriented questions.

Primarily I'm using Tim's web site and Oracle 9i Documentation to prepare for it.

Thanks for any assistance that is rendered
    Regards
    Shaan - Virginia - USA
    rshaan@hotmail.com

Any specific topics which I should focus on.
    All are equally covered except probably RAC, AR, SSSM and WM. There were only few questions on RMAN: 2 very easy ones and 2 hard ones.

What makes the exam difficult is that they do not ask the basic things, they ask details. Of course there are many general questions too. But there were at least 10 questions about very unimportant things.

Are there any fill in the blanks in this exam
    No.

What is the format of questions multiple choice questions.
    Half of the questions are choose 1 out of 4. The rest are 2 out 5 or 3 out of 6. There were a couple like 4 out of 7.

Any parameter, Dynamic Views or SQL Statement oriented questions.
    Yes.

Primarily I'm using Tim's web site and Oracle 9i Documentation to prepare for it.
    It should be more than enough.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

I took the beta exam so it was a bit different to the production exam (191 questions in 3 hours rather than 56 in 1.5 hours) but I agree with Julian.

Remember, my notes are missing the advanced replication and globalization sections so get these from your manuals.

Julian, it was 5 months ago but I remember about 5/191 questions about the Character Set Scanner. Were there any in the production exam?

Also, was there a question in the production exam that said something like "Which of these character sets are new to 9i?" What a crap question!!

Shaan. The more you read around the subjects the better you will do. As I keep saying, if you know everything in my notes you will pass. If you know more you will pass with a better grade.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Originally posted by TimHall
    Julian, it was 5 months ago but I remember about 5/191 questions about the Character Set Scanner. Were there any in the production exam?
    Nothing on the scanner. And I spent so much time with it, in vain :-)

Also, was there a question in the production exam that said something like "Which of these character sets are new to 9i?" What a crap question!!
    I got 1 question like that. Choose 3 out of 4, or was it 4 out of 5.

Shaan, Tim's site should help you pass the exam. Read several times everything what Tim's written.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

I find tim's site pretty interesting. Why don't we try to make a ask tim/julian option as well in the forum(shud we ask forrest if he find's it a good idea?). where exam related and very specific questions can be dealt with carefully.
    Although julian sometimes can be a little snappy i still like his and also tim's style of answering questions.
    Julian's i like the best because he prods as well, to know if you REALLY got the answer and not just the answer.

I'm deep into my 8i exm preps using sybex books, and also will be getting the couchman's stuff. I have heard tom kyte's is also a good read.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

How good are ILTs for 9i upgrade exam. Any comments

Thank U

Best preparation for 1z0-030: STS

Originally posted by janu
    How good are ILTs for 9i upgrade exam. Any comments

Thank U
    Julian reckons the ILTs are the best prep for the exam and I trust his judgement.

Tarry: I would say "terse" rather than "snappy" ;-)
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog