DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Almost "There", now WHAT?

Question

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading a lot of posts here for quite some time, but this is my first post.

I just passed my 3rd Exam, so that makes it sql & pl/sql, A&A and BR BUT now I'm very confused.

I'm about to graduate college in 3 months and am wondering if I can get a job working in an Oracle envrionment with these 3...
    I can pass the NT and PT in 2-3 months if I study, but I'm just sooo busy with college and my part-time job(in a meat market...I support my myself b/c I'm an "orphan" and I owe so much to my boss that I didn't want to turn my back on him since he's been sick for the last yr). I don't have experience in IT b/c my employer has let me live with him for 2yrs as long as i work in the shop so it's very feasable financially to not worry about rent and things like that..

So what I'm asking is whether i can land a job b/c of these 3 tests and my upcomming bachelors degree even though I don't have experience in IT...

BTW, I'm in Long Island which is in New York

Thanks in advance for YOUR help

Well, to be honest. you're going to have a hard time finding an Oracle-related job with no experience. even with an OCP. with this economy, specially in NY. heck even Senior DBA's and Developers can't find a job.
    You think I'm going to have an affair with you? --Stanley Kowalski

what subject(s) are you graduating in ?
    Once you have eliminated all of the impossible,
    whatever remains however improbable,
    must be true.

Thanks for the response.
    I will have graduated with a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems.

Once I worked in NYC. There are good companies that will take you as a developer. Don't get disappointment if you don't get IT job. Keep trying.

I am 100% sure that honest candidates would get good job if not today, may be tomorrow.

Good Luck.

This may like a dumb question/stmt, but can a person in "Icehead's" position get a job as a developer with just his bachelors & 3 exams? How about sql pl/sql and A&A, is a developer job possible with these 2? I thought a developer has to go another route ---oracle developer track as opposed to the DBA track......

Feeback would be good b/c this is confusing me as well

C'mon folks...I'm dying here(figuratively of course)....I'd really appreciate some advice

Thanks

The market is definitely tight. Someone with no experience in IT will surely have a harder time finding a job than an experienced person. I don't think its impossible, but you will have to get your name out in front of many recruiters and employers before you land your first job.

You might also have to consider relocation to another area of the country for entry level opportunities as the Tri-state area was hit pretty hard by the dotcom burst. Either way, you are not looking at an easy road, IMHO.
    Jeff Hunter

Thumbs up

Yes I agree with marist89, try relocating to say...oklahoma or kansas, then maybe if you're lucky you'd be able to find an entry level oracle dba/developer position there. Try to finish your OCP and do your best to find a job. Good Luck.
    You think I'm going to have an affair with you? --Stanley Kowalski

ideas

{{{The market is definitely tight. Someone with no experience in IT will surely have a harder time finding a job than an experienced person. I don't think its impossible, but you will have to get your name out in front of many recruiters and employers before you land your first job. }}}

Try to do an internship or co-op during the summer, even if you are about to graduate. You can even take an extra course or two in school over the fall semester, so you can still be counted as a registered student.
    Many students do not have internships and have to lie on their resumes, and have friends and relatives cover for them, so they can get their first IT job.

{{{You might also have to consider relocation to another area of the country for entry level opportunities as the Tri-state area was hit pretty hard by the dotcom burst. Either way, you are not looking at an easy road, IMHO.}}}

The suburbs of NYC (Long Island, Westchester, Connecticut) are always easier to get a job than in NYC. The salary may be a bit lower, but you will probably learn more, especially if you join a smaller company.