DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Increased Number of Users

Increased Number of Users

I am new to oracle DBA. I am wondering about how the connection pooling are configured for OLTP Databases. I know that data providers like JDBC,ODBC are used for connectivity from front end applications like .NET, JAVA, but still I need some clarity on the role of DBA to configure the parameters for user's connectivity via applications and how to increase the scalability in matter of concurrent users?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Depending on interpretation this could be a very broad subject.

You may want to start by taking a look at "sessions" and "processes" initialization parameters.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for you reply. Suppose my Database is running in optimal performance supporting 150 user's requests concurrently what if it is scaled to handle 300 user's requests concurrently?. I am guessing that increased memory, disk IO and may be ASM would satisfy this requirement. Are there any more considerations to account for in this scenario. My database show's that a max of 170 session. Is there any way to increase it?

Thanks in Advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas7 View Post
    Suppose my Database is running in optimal performance supporting 150 user's requests concurrently what if it is scaled to handle 300 user's requests concurrently?. I am guessing that increased memory, disk IO and may be ASM would satisfy this requirement. Are there any more considerations to account for in this scenario.
    Can't tell. I don't know how much memory the box already has, don't know how big is your SGA, don't know if current scenario is working under stress, don't know how I/O is behaving, don't know if database already has hot spots... just to mention a few "I don't know"

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas7 View Post
    My database show's that a max of 170 session. Is there any way to increase it?
    Yes... research "sessions" and "processes" initialization parameters.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks sir for your valuable time and information.

No problem, just don't forget to pay attention at the relationship in between "sessions" and "processes".
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov