DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: archiving to multiple destinations

This is a rather long winded question:

I know you can archive to multiple destinations in 8i and I know that one of the destinations can be remote. My question is, if you are archiving to a remote site do those archives have to be applied to a standby database or can they just be written to a remote filesystem? I guess that you could write an OS application to copy archived files to a remote site but I was wondering whether Oracle can do it without using standyby DB's (using UNIX by the way!)

Talking

Whoo Hooo! Finally a "member" (v sad I know!)

Copying archive logs to multiple destinations for high availability and not necessarily for Standby database.

if you have a hot standby database at a remote location, may be you an have the archive logs on a directory of standby database server from the primary database.

But anyway you have to apply them to keep the standby in sync with the primary.

So the directory (file system ), should be mounted in the network, os that primary can keep the archives here too.

Thanks,
    Madhu

Not sure I made my initial question very clear. We dont have a standy database at a remote site but want to archive our log files both locally and remotely so we can use them in the event of a disaster. Is there a way of getting Oracle to archive the files to a remote site without having to apply them to a standby database.
    The way we our tape cycle operates is that we have a backup at midnight but the tapes dont actually go offsite until 2pm. If we have a disaster between midnight and 2pm we have to restore to the previous nights backup and would lose all the archive logs. If we could archive the logs to a remote site then we could use them to roll the DB forward to the time of disaster.

as far as my knowledge goes i guess you dont need to apply the remote archive log to standby database as its an exact copy of ur local archive destination.So just applying the local would be fine.

cheese
    anandkl
    anandkl

No more confusions !!!!!!!!!

Remote archival will not work without a standby database.

Plz look at the follwoing doc:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...T&p_id=66433.1

Hope There wont be any more confusion,
    Madhu

Talking

Marvellous - thanks for clearing that up!