DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $1 a how many OCP DBA!

All the questions are from ILT books. That is the problem. I do not why oracle does it - may be to promote ILT. If you read ILT you can finish the test and get out in 20 minutes.

If they cover entire oracle - for example all the reference manuals - you can make tests unbelievably complicated - and then only few people pass.
    Remember the Golden Rule - He who has the gold makes the rules!
    ===================
    Kris109
    Ph.D., OCP 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g DBA

I don't believe you need ILT to pass. I have not been to a single class given by Oracle. I went to one given by Learning Tree (about 5 years ago) that was Oracle 7 for DBAs. If you use the product read the manuals you can get by. I also have spent a fairly good amount on my own Oracle book library. Using these resources you can do it with out ILT.

You can find each and every OCP question VERBATIM in ILT. If that dependency is broken, potentially there could be many more difficult questions that can make life difficult for OCP.
    ===================
    Kris109

Talking

The test are based off of the ILT. To sell Oracle Classes.

I agree that Oracle can make the certification process harder. What I think they are doing is letting people get the OCA with ease. Making other people work a little harder for the OCP. And the really hardcore will go for the OCM.

Lets face it the certificaiton process supports many other lines of business. Books, education and websites. As long as there is a certification process there will be a supporting market.

The whole thing is that Oracle needs to manage its certificaiton to make sure that there is value behind the paper.

E. Yen
    OCP DBA 8, 8i, 9i

You got it eyen! OCP is another cash cow for oracle, to sell their ILT, TBT, OLN, STS etc., The more the merrier.
    ===================
    Kris109

ARE the questions that you folks referring to at the back of the pdf ILTs??

I've got all the ILTs (except of sql pl/sql...any1 want to share that? :0) and The only questions/exercises are at the end

?????

The pdf's only have the upper part of the real ILT book. I guess the pdf's people are talking about are the ones teachers are using in the class. The ILT book s have slides in teh upper part and text in the bottom of every book. Hope it helps.
    Leo
    Oracle 8i OCP DBA
    Toronto, Canada

I've never spent more than 30 minutes in all the tests I've taken.
    Bully for you. There is obviously the "mother tongue" factor. At work, you probably say 'primary key' and 'tablespace' but I say 'pääavain' and 'taulualue', respectively. So, it probably takes a bit more time for people whose mother tongue is not English to understand the questions before they answer.

Originally posted by julian

Pardon me that I am so sceptic but if I say to someone that a guy over the Internet called GARYM, made the 8i upgrade in 25', well, they might not really buy it :-)
    I was just merely pointing out that 25 minutes is not unheard of. I'm not saying everybody does it in that much time. I'm not saying that 90 minutes is too much. All I'm saying is I don't think it's unreasonable to pass the 8i upgrade in 25 minutes.
    Jeff Hunter

All I'm saying is I don't think it's unreasonable to pass the 8i upgrade in 25 minutes.
    It might sound reasonable, it might be true, but I don't believe it. I've been to almost all Oracle exams: I know very well how tricky the questions are. You must be bloody foolish to answer quickly to all questions and not use your time to revise the answers. If someone tells me that (s)he leaves an exam after 25', well Jeff, this inclines me to believe that he might have known the questions in advance.