DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $1 a how many OCP DBA!

Angry

Hi all,
    what you guys/gals think about futures of fresh OCP DBAs? as the OCP become easier to pass (even without any experience in IT, One can pass OCP) today!! like MCSE, CNA, CNE...etc OCP DBA will be available at $1 a ...!

Regards,
    Vimal Patel
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i
    Sun Solaris 8 Sys. Admin.
    A+

...even without any experience in IT, One can pass OCP) today...
    It will not be easy in the future to get good jobs with or without OCP. OCP is just a paper that says that you are kind of an Oracle guru. Now, the point is: who will believe it or at least take it seriously. In my opinion, the passing level is a bit low. Oracle should raise it to 90% or something. Then all people reading the stuff from books only, will find it a bit more difficult to pass the exams. Also, Oracle could introduce some real life questions, sort of after doing whatever it is you get this and that error, what do you do next. Not just silly questions like: "How many primary keys are cached...."

Exclamation Agree Julian!

Hi Julian,
    I Agree, Oracle should test real scenario and should test in such way so it should screen-out parrot(who memorized without knowing how does it works). What you think about Time limit they provide(i.e. 90 min)?

Regards,
    Vimal Patel
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i
    A+

OCP cannot test motivation or dedication.

In today's tight job market, why would a manager not use the try before buy approach (contract to hire).

If after 3 months everything is going okay, sign a permanent contract.

David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

If after 3 months everything is going okay, sign a permanent contract.

That is what all firms do in Scandinavia. But 3 months is not a very long period, after 3 months not everything about the employee will be still clear :-)

About the 90' given for most of the OCP exams: I think it is enough. It is not short but not long at all! Only at my first exam (SQL, 120'), I finished 10' from time. I remember that for P&T, B&R and Net8, I was ready in less than 60'. Then I used 10' to go after most of my answers and I usually change a couple :-)

I think 90 minutes is a long time. I took a max of 30 minutes (SQL) ont the OPC8 exams the rest were about 20 minutes and the 8i upgrade was about 25 minutes.

You either know the stuff or not. I will say that I have about 10 yeasrs experience before I decided to go for the certification.

... the 8i upgrade was about 25 minutes.

You either know the stuff or not. I will say that I have about 10 yeasrs experience before I decided to go for the certification.
    8i upgrade in 25'?? And you had 10 years of 8i experience? Or you think that Version 5 experience helped in the 8i upgrade :-)

I wish you the very best of luck on the 9i upgrade, you may try to break your record and make the 9i exam in 15'.

Pardon me that I am so sceptic but if I say to someone that a guy over the Internet called GARYM, made the 8i upgrade in 25', well, they might not really buy it :-)

Originally posted by GARYM
    I think 90 minutes is a long time. I took a max of 30 minutes (SQL) ont the OPC8 exams the rest were about 20 minutes and the 8i upgrade was about 25 minutes.
    I've never spent more than 30 minutes in all the tests I've taken. I've never timed myself to the minute, but I know if I have a 9:00 testing time, I've got my test results and I'm back in the car by 9:40.
    Jeff Hunter

Yes I have 10 years experience with different versions of Oracle Yes I have looked at 6 barely, Ihave time using 7.0,7,1,7.3,8.x and was using 8i for one year before I took the test.

I left my office at 9 for the test center (which is just done the hall from my office). I was back in my office at my computer working on a clients migration problem at 9:35. Yes I think the time I spent learning Oracle and not just reading some exam book helped me a great deal. By the way I passed each test on the first try. I did not say the exam was easy just that I took it in the time I specified and I still think you know the stuff or not. Agonizing over it does not help you know the stuff better.

Hi all,
    I think most of all who have enough knowledge/experience they passed exam within 60'. I'm planning to take exam for O9i upgrade in April.
    Garym, I also passed all exam at 1st attempt and within 60' but I'm habituated (like Julian)to go back and review all questions to be safe side. I found O8 upgrade exam most easy among them.

[Edited by vimalp on 03-06-2002 at 11:08 AM]
    Regards,
    Vimal Patel
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i
    A+