Thread: PCT INCREASE

Once you have eliminated all of the impossible,
    whatever remains however improbable,
    must be true.

Exclamation

For a good discussion on Fragmentation look at the

All About ORacle Database Fragmentation article on

http://www.orapub.com.

I think that if you set PCTINCREASE to 1 on the Tablespace but to 0 at the tables you will still get automatic coallision but less fragmentation.

Re: coalescing

Originally posted by rswamin
    when pctincrease is equal to zero oracle will not do a coalescing when fragmentation occurs. we have to coalesce explicitly by ourselves. but if the pctincrease is greater than zero oracle(SMON) will take care of coalescing automatically.
    but managing the extent size becomes a real problem.so it is better to have the pctincreae equal to zero or a value closer to zero(say 1% or 2%).

regards

swaminathan
    if u set pctincrease=0, you won't ever have to coalesce...
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.

ocpwannabe - You'll still have to coalesce if your segments are of different sizes (especially different sized Index segments int he same tablespace).

Additionally, I suppose to make SMON colaesce automatically, setting you could set PCTINCREASE on the tablespace level. Taking into account that this change will affect newly created objects which have NO PCTINCREASE specified.

But as previously stated, I'd be inclined to set to 0, unless you are going to monitor vigourously newly created objects to make sure they aren't taking the TABLESPACE default of PCTINCREASE > 0.

Cheers
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

But as previously stated, I'd be inclined to set to 0, unless you are going to monitor vigourously newly created objects to make sure they aren't taking the TABLESPACE default of PCTINCREASE > 0.

Cheers
    I agree with you. All that stuff about setting PCTINCREASE to 1 or 2 does not make sense at all. What not switch to LMTs and stop bothering with PCTINCREASE :-)

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com