DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: connect internal v connect as / sqldba

Cool

Hi everyone,

I have been using a backup script for the best part of a year and it has recently been playing up. Someone at Metalink suggested that I should change using CONNECT / AS SYSDBA to CONNECT INTERNAL for the actual shutdown of the database. I have done this and so far so good. However without going into a very long story i want to know whether this would make a difference? What are the physical characteristics of the connecting these ways??? Answers on a postcard please....

connect / as sysdba would be the most appropriate one compared to connect internal. As of 9i connect internal is supposed to have gone for good, but for backward compatibility reasons, oracle still has that feature but does not encourage the users to use it. As it could go at any moment.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Originally posted by sambavan
    connect / as sysdba would be the most appropriate one compared to connect internal. As of 9i connect internal is supposed to have gone for good, but for backward compatibility reasons, oracle still has that feature but does not encourage the users to use it. As it could go at any moment.

Sam
    There is no connect internal in 9i.

Connect Internal is obsolete for sure.

Coming to the Original question, there does'nt seem to be any logical explanation for the difference you noticed while connecting as 'INTERNAL' as compared to 'CONNECT / AS SYSDBA'. Functionally, they are supposed to be same.

The 'Physical difference' however is that when you connect your own user name as SYSDBA, you are accessing your own schema while as 'INTERNAL' user, you are using SYS user's schema.

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

Hi,

This is taken from the Oracle 9i New Features documentation....

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    CONNECT INTERNAL and CONNECT INTERNAL/PASSWORD are not supported in Oracle9i. Instead, the following are the exact equivalents:

CONNECT/ as SYSDBA
    CONNECT username/password AS SYSDBA
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you use connect / as sysdba you will connect to the SYS schema and should be exactly the same as connect internal.
    connect username/password will give you the same privileges but place you in the schema identified by 'username'

Cheers
    Moff

Hmm!!!

This forum is alive!!!

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!