DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-12154 HELP !!!!!!!!

Hello All,
    I work in a system , where a 3rd party tool will monitor Oracle. It is throwing some alerts with ORA-12154.

But I was able to connect to database using SQLPLUS from win NT ( Database is running on UNIX ). I did check all the logs Viz.. alert.log, listener.log... I coundn't see any errors realetd to ORA-12154.

but the 3rd party tool is still throwing the error messages . And It is happening for all instances on the UNIX machine.

dont know , how these errors are coming, May be some expert can help me out.

Thanks,
    Madhu

Check the tnsnames.ora file in the unix machine and see that the entry for the database is existing.
    KN

The Entry for the database is not there in TNSNAMES.ORA ( On UNIX MACHINE ), but I am still be able to connect to that instance through Oracle client ( Since TNSNAMES.ORA of my local machine is having the entry ). Do we essentially require this entry of the database in TNSNAMES.ORA ????

Thanks a bunch for your reply,
    Madhu

where is the 3rd party tool running on ?
    does the tnsnames file on this tool machine is valid one?
    you may also want to replace the hostname ref in this tnsnames file with the IP address and recheck.

Thanx

Yes you will need the entry in tnsnames.ora to connect to the database through third party tool.
    KN

Nrayan,
    I have bounced the database as the alerts are growing and now they were stopped. But I didnt change the TNSNAMES.ORA, so how these alerts are stopped , to my dismay ?????

Do you have any idea on it ???

Thanks,
    Madhu