DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Permissions for Oracle

Can anyone tell me precisely what kind of permissions NT Level,a normal user ,a backup operator,a DBA needs on oracle directories both on Client and Server.
    Thanks

depending on how much you want an end user to participate in job and event creations,
    the dba, and backup operators can have the advanced option of log on as batch mode, in order to carry out those activities remotely(so in the nt environment they must be fall under the administrators.. to access the server remotely).
    A client installation on the end user machine will however restrict him from carrying out advanced sql statements/ he can only access sqlplus .(well he doesn't need that if he's connecting via anotehr application program.such as vb,etc).

Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Hi ,
    Is there any document which i can refer ,this is quite urgent as i have to apply security on our production box.
    Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks

Smile

amit,
    this shud answer your query...
    http://otn.oracle.com/doc/windows/se...10.htm#1036322

cheers.....

Tarry
    Tarry Singh
    TarryBlogging

Thanks for the reply,what i intend to know is i have one database server and one application server .So there is one user group which will do all insertion ,updation ,delete and others are application users who will only view the data through a application ,and another is backup operators .
    So i want to know what all permissions on the oracle home on client machine these users needs to have,i.e full control or read write execute kind of things and what abt the oracle stuff on the server ,every one full control or some other stuff.
    I do'nt know whether i am asking a silly question.

Red face

WEll,
    you can create new roles and privs and throw all the users, superusers in the their respective groups(where their read,write, etc accesses can be defined) on the server.

On the client side i would do the client installation with user option(you get three choices when you start client installation, i think) and the rest leave it as it is.

keep it simple, let the server take care of their access grants..
    it's not a silly query amit, every setup is pretty different. for ex, here we have users(and also on board our ships) who access the database thru a vb6 application , tailor made program where i adjust the user access for different groups with this applcation, but like i said if your (end) users do not have such facility then let oracle do it thru the security manager take care of this.
    Tarry Singh
    TarryBlogging