DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Backing up online Archive Log files

Hybrid View

Question

Hi all,

Oracle 805/NT 4.

We have DB in Archive log mode. We take daily Hot and weekly cold backup. In daily Hot backup, all archive logs are also backed up. We have only one tape drive for taking all these backup.

Now, my question is how to protect online Archive log files that are being generated on to the server? Currently, archive log files are generated on RAID-5 disk sets.

Suppose, something goes wrong with the hard drive or server, we will not have those archive log files that are created since last hot backup.

How do I ensure that all the up-to-date archive log files are available to apply on the last hot/cold backup when server/hard drives are failed.

What most people do about it?

Thanks in Adv.

Sam
    ------------------------
    To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart

Our redo log files reside in a directory on the NT server on which the database runs. This directory is backed up as part of our nightly server backups. Therefore, if this directory is wiped out for any reason, I can restore the redo log files from the nightly backup tape.

Sorry.....I stated redo log files. I meant archive log files.

Originally posted by samdba

Now, my question is how to protect online Archive log files that are being generated on to the server? Currently, archive log files are generated on RAID-5 disk sets.

Suppose, something goes wrong with the hard drive or server, we will not have those archive log files that are created since last hot backup.
    Having your archived log files on RAID5 is what is going to protect them from disk failure. Sure, if 2 drives in the RAID5 set die, you're screwed, but you have to weigh the costs of mirroring everything vs. the liklihood 2 drives will fail at the same time.
    Jeff Hunter

And if you're that worried about it, cut your archived logs to tape more than once a day. (I do it at least twice a day, but that's because I have issues...)
    Jeff Hunter

Unhappy

Therefore, if this directory is wiped out for any reason, I can restore the redo log files from the nightly backup tape.

From nightly backup tape, you can not restore archive logs which are created since that nightly backup.

Isn't it risky???

Thanks,
    Sam
    ------------------------

Cut your archived logs to tape more than once a day.

Tape drive is used for daily hot backup so operator inserts the tape every morning to take the hot backup of that day.

So, if operator inserts another tape for taking backup of archive logs and suppose the operator forgets to replace that tape for hot backup, it's a probem.

Is another tape drive exclusive for archive log a solution? Then, we can write a script to take backup of archive log files every 30 min. or so.

Pl. advise.

Thanks,
    Sam
    ------------------------

That's an operational issue. I buy equipment that doesn't need human intervention.
    Jeff Hunter

Talking

Originally posted by marist89
    And if you're that worried about it, cut your archived logs to tape more than once a day. (I do it at least twice a day, but that's because I have issues...)
    Do I get extra points for NOT jumping all over this one?

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.