DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will OCP DBA help me find a job?

Hello,

I recently lost my job as a software developer. I have alot of experience doing databse dev. so thought I should use this time and become an OCP DBA.

Since many of you are in the field and know alot more about it than I do, please share you views. Will it be easy to find a job (I am a Sun Cert. Java Programmer) with OCP DBA?

Thank you.

Search through the threads on this site and you will see a mixed bag of responses. Some people claim to have got jobs easily with OCP and no experience. Others say even with OCP and 1 years experience they can get nothing.

Unfortunately there aren't any rules in this game. I think that having OCP will help you, but it's not a guarantee! If the next person in line has more experience they'll probably get the job.

If you try hard and you're focused you will get a job. If you can't it just means it's not your destiny.

Good luck.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Cool

I would also like to add that your job-hunting and networking skills are going to 'help' you get a position the most. Many people looking for positions just do not know how to market themselves, network, and search for the job they desire.
    With the current market it is important to sharpen these skills as much as you can.

As someone said in another thread (marist): "being in the right place at the right time and interviewing well can get you the job"

- Magnus

Hi Guys

I feelcompanies are looking for people with multiple skill sets like Oracle DBA,System administration and Programming also

What do you people think of this?

Regards
    Santosh

sybase

{{{I feelcompanies are looking for people with multiple skill sets
    like Oracle DBA,System administration and Programming also}}}

Sybase is also popular as part of the Oracle DBA role

I feelcompanies are looking for people with multiple skill sets like Oracle DBA,System administration and Programming
    That is true for all I have noticed in the job adds. The questions is: Do they get such people?

Is it possible to be an expert in, let's say, MS SQL Server and Oracle ? And maybe plus some other systems, like DB2 ? And also be an expert in Network Administration (Win2K, UNIX). Many job ads have this huge "shopping list" of requirements.

It sure ain't gonna hurt is it?

This "keep it simple stupid" approach has been brought to you by Mr.Hanky

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by rajs
    Will it be easy to find a job (I am a Sun Cert. Java Programmer) with OCP DBA?
    OCP DBA + BS degree = easy $$$

u will have no problem finding a job with ocp and degree, even in theese diffucult times.
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.

Hey ocpwannabe, I'm not too sure about what you said...

I graduated college this past December and finished the OCP track in december as well, and can't seem to find anything...I don't have much working experience and companies don't take a liking to this....

Were you able to find a job after you did your ocp after graduation? (u sound like a recent grad) Did you have working experience in IT?

I think there's on major player
    which is Extremely important --->>> LUCK
    you've gotta be at the right place at the right time

Feel free to respond