DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sql * loader help

hi friends
    version 8.1.5 and OS windows2000

While using sql*loader to load datafile(comma seperated) containing 1540 rows, the loader showed only244 as logical records.what happened to the rest of the records(appr. 1300) in datafile.If I am loading the same data file for the second time, how do I omitt/skip records already loaded.the table has around 31200 old rows.
    Please help me.

thanks and regards

Hi

Look at the log file which will be created to check why it did not load the rest of the records.

Regarding skipping the records there is an option

ex :

skip=20

This option used with sql loader will skip the first 20 records.Use this option depending on ur requirement

Regards

Santosh

Red face

Hi

thanks for the response.those 244 rows are only found in the log file and out of these some records are only rejected due to some errors.
    Please let me know why only 244 records out of 1340 records in datafile has not been read by sql*loader.
    and also the rejected records are not in series i.e 2,7,9 ,15etc .how can I skip those records in second load.

help me out.

thanks and regards

Hi

I dont think you can skip those records randomly.I would suggest you to truncate the table and run the load again.

The other part why it is only reading 244 records is becuase allready no of records rejected has exceded the limit allowed so use this option

sqlldr scott/tiger errors=500

The above option will be handle allmost 500 errors.You can use it depending on ur requirement

Regards
    Santosh

Talking answer

I have come across this many times while using flat files.
    Mainly, you need to view EVERY visible space in that flat file and use the mode to see carriage returns etc. This can be done through TextPad, MSWORD, or whatever.

Once in the 'view visible spaces'-mode you will then see some strange things. Sometimes where you THOUGHT were carriage returns, were not really there and it is one full line. Other times there are extra spaces at the ends of lines, etc.

It is tedious, but this is the only way to really view your data.

Considering it is only 1500 rows or so, it should not be very difficult. Mainly, you are looking for consistent end-of-lines. This is where sql*loader is failing to see your extra lines in your flat file.

give it a try and lemme know.
    - Magnus

Thanks Santoshym and jmagnus,

Actually the problem was with errors parameter.It was 50 and I changed it.It worked.I truncated the table and did an import for the old rows and then loaded the new rows.Also it gave me SQL*Loader 524 due to some bug?From some other thread from the forum I got the answer(pressed enter at the end of controlfile ),so far so good.But have to load 1gb of access data to oracle.Call you guys again if problem occurs.

regards