DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to move database from nt to unix

We are planning to move the database from nt to unix .. Will the export /import option works . Can be transport tablespaces from nt to unix on ver 9i ...Looking for Guru's help to find best method to do this job ..
    Raghu

Export/import is the best method to move your data.
    Jeff Hunter

Question

what if your database is so big and wanted to do export & import, think its time consuming , is there any other way of doing the things much better in 8i/9i

Thanks,
    Madhu

You cannot use transportable tablespaces across different OS's.

If you have a large database, there is no quick way to migrate.

I suggest your best bet is a definition export from the NT db (FULL=Y, ROWS=N). Set up the tablespaces on the Unix server, then do an import of the definition. This will define all the tables and users. At this point you can run several parallel scripts to copy the data from the NT server to the Unix server.
    Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CDP,CCP
    'The answer is 42'

Before 9i release somebody told me Oracle is providing transportable tablespaces across OS . I just want to confirm this ..If there is one I am one of the happiest person's ...
    Raghu

Unhappy

I suggest your best bet is a definition export from the NT db (FULL=Y, ROWS=N). Set up the tablespaces on the Unix server, then do an import of the definition. This will define all the tables and users. At this point you can run several parallel scripts to copy the data from the NT server to the Unix server.

I really didnt get you , may be i couldnt understand the parallel copy scripts , do you have any ???

I would like to know more about this ...

Thanks in advance
    Madhu

I think he's taking about either using the SQLPlus COPY command or doing multiple imports at once.
    Jeff Hunter