DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-00439: feature not enabled: Managed Standby (When using DB Config Asst to create)

Unhappy

I've just installed 8.1.7 Standard Edition on an NT4 box. I've auto-created a default DB no problem during this.

When I try to define a Custom DB using the Configuration Assistant and then press It fails with the error: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available.

Checked some forums (fora?) and it seems to be something to do with the archive_log_dest init parameter. I've no details - sorry.

As the auto-generated default DB is created in Non Archive Log mode this might explain why that worked.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it peculiar to 8.1.7 Standard as I've created many DBs using 8.1.5 with no problems.

I'm going to workaround by creating it in Non Archive Log mode and later enable logging when its up and running.

Heres the dbcraete script generated by the Config Asst. ...

Echo ON
    SVRMGR> connect INTERNAL
    Connected.
    SVRMGR> startup nomount pfile="C:\oracle\admin\prjcntl1\pfile\initPRJC1.ora"
    ORA-00439: feature not enabled: Managed Standby
    SVRMGR> CREATE DATABASE prjcntl1
    2> LOGFILE 'F:\oradata\prjcntl\proj01\prj_redo01.log' SIZE 1024K,
    3> 'F:\oradata\prjcntl\proj01\prj_redo02.log' SIZE 1024K,
    4> 'F:\oradata\prjcntl\proj01\prj_redo03.log' SIZE 1024K
    5> MAXLOGFILES 32
    6> MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
    7> MAXLOGHISTORY 1
    8> DATAFILE 'E:\oradata\prjcntl\proj01\system01.dbf' SIZE 264M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10240K
    9> MAXDATAFILES 254
    10> MAXINSTANCES 1
    11> CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1
    12> NATIONAL CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1;
    CREATE DATABASE prjcntl1
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    SVRMGR> spool off

With standard edition you must not have multiple log_archive_destinations. If I remember well, you must change the name of the log_archive_dest_1 in your init to log_archive%_dest or something similar to workarround the problem, I donĀ“t remember exactly now.

The default database was created without problem, because it is created always in NOARCHIVELOG.

I always create the database in noarchivelog, and after change it to archivelog, because if you create initially in archivelog mode, it will generate archiving when you create the catalogs.

Hope that helps

Angel

When you install standard edition it will write archive logs to one local disk. It will not write them to a mapped disk. When you use the db create tool it sets up archive like you have enterprise. So you need to create the database as nonarchivelog and then when it has been created change it to archivelogmode. The enterprise edition syntax is also the default in the init file. So you will need to edit out the _1 and location= parts of the dest parameter.

Enterprise Edition
    # log_archive_start = TRUE
    # log_archive_dest_1 = "location=D:\Oracle\oradata\bsg1\archive"
    # log_archive_format = %%ORACLE_SID%%T%TS%S.ARC

Standard Edition
    # log_archive_start = TRUE
    # log_archive_dest = "D:\Oracle\oradata\bsg1\archive"
    # log_archive_format = %%ORACLE_SID%%T%TS%S.ARC

Is this just with 8.1.7 though? I never had problems before (with 8.1.5).

Thanks anyway, Angel. Your suggestion was what I planned to do anyway!

John

Perhaps we had installed 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition?? Not sure! If I install 8.1.7 Enterprise will it solve this?

John

Yes