DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Access and Oracle

Is there an interface available that would allow me to load data from an Access mdb to an Oracle db? I've looked at the OCA and it does allow me to login to Access via sql*plus and forms. What I can't figure out is how to have both Access and Oracle available at the same time. Tried setting up a database link but that failed. Migration utility is ok for one time load but I need something more flexible.

Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

That's all well and good for 9i, but assuming you're on a sub-9 version like the other 95% of the world...
    http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=14531
    Jeff Hunter

A simple program written in VB is the best solution for you.
    VB can easily connect to multiple back ends at the same time. You can have a couple of ADO controls on a VB form connecting to the DSNs of Access and Oracle respectively. And you can transfer data back and forth like water.

If you want more info, I can help with some sample code.
    Thanks, Deepa

Thanks, folks. Let me explain a little better. I am running on 9i, so the solution from oracle-base seems like exactly what I want. I need to login to oracle and then be able to get data from Access, not the other way around. The oracle db and Access are on different servers. The solution for 9i didn't work(got a ora 28509 'couldn't establish connection to non-oracle source'), probably because it assumes that oracle and Access are on same machine. I tried specifying host in tnsnames.ora but still no go. Also, the samples for listener/tnsnames files for hs on my system are markedly different than the examples from oracle-base. I know my odbc connection works because I have tested it through OCA. Any other ideas?

Originally posted by marist89
    That's all well and good for 9i, but assuming you're on a sub-9 version like the other 95% of the world...
    http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=14531
    Generic connectivity is available for 8i also.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog